Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Congratulations to those finally getting their first pips and chicks. Am I the only one left with zero?

Rebel, I was surprised to hear about the severe injury to your son from being shot with a BB gun. Most of us country folk have been shot (or been the shooter) by a BB gun with little ill effect. I have three boys that get popped by one of their brothers on a regular basis. It is always "an accident" and I have never worried about it too much. Wow, I may be hiding the BB's after this!

I am bummed. I was so excited to join this hatch (ask DH, he has been laughing at me for weeks.) I did everything to the best of my ability, and was so proud. I have no idea what the problem is. I cleaned and disinfected the bator, I turned the eggs while waiting to start. I took notes and monitored the temp and humidity. The temp stayed at 99 the majority of the time and only dipped to 97 a couple of times after opening the bator. The air cells progressed according to the chart and although not ALL looked great at lock down, there were plenty that did. I have caught myself tearing up a time or two (and I am NOT a cryer.) I realised that every time I go to the bator, I get my hopes up and every time, there's nothing. I went to bed thinking there would be chicks in the morning.... nothing. I went to church and lunch thinking there would be pips when we got home.........nothing. It is torture, and I don't even know when to end it. How long do I wait?
hit.gif

You're NOT the only one still with nothing... I am in the same boat.
hugs.gif

Wisher1000, that must be terribly disappointing. Your temps sound a little low to me, so perhaps they are just running a little late. I know lots of us will keep fingers crossed for you!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. I have a digital thermo/hygrometer (cheap from WM) that doesn't give tenths of degrees and I used two glass aquarium thermometers. My bator has a fan so I thought that if the temp read 99 it would likely be '99 point something.' I kept the digital on the wire beside the turner, proped up at an angle on the side and the glass ones on top of the eggs in the turner. The mercury in the glass ones always were either right at or just ever so slightly below the 100 mark. I didn't think it could get any better.

I agree, they could be late and that is part of the torture. It will be easier when I know it's over but I can't give up until I know that there is no chance that any will hatch.

Nightowl -- I am so sorry that you are not seeing anything, either. I thought I saw where you were getting chicks. I guess it was someone else. I hope ours come around soon. How long are you going to give them?

Last edited:
30 out so far with more pips incubator 2 is now starting to pop number 29 is silver all eggs are silkies what color would i classify a solid silver with a little yellow on the tips

I celebrate Ostara (when I remember LOL), but happy Easter to those celebrating!!! =) =)

I think I'm going to have waaaaay too many chicks.. Have two broodies and one missing chicken that only shows up for breakfast, so she's probably hiding in the woods somewhere with eggs. argh.

Happy Ostara!!! A little late I assume. Had to read up on this since I am non-religious myself. What a lovely, egalitarian ritual! Very beautiful sentiments!

Well, happy Easter everyone. I'm not a religious person, so maybe I should just say happy chocolate day.

Enjoy your sugar comas, I am well on the way to creating some with hot cross buns proving on the kitchen table, and chocolate shortcake shortly....

Sounds yummy!
droolin.gif

now i am getting nervous! we started hearing peeps inside the eggs late lastnight (1030ish), but so far there is not a pip to be seen in any of the eggs. how long between hearing the noises from inside the eggs and hatching? when should i start to worry about what i did wrong? i hace felt pretty relaxed throughout most of this hatch ( with the exception of a couple spikes of nerves and excitement, of course!) but these last few hours are enough to kill me!

I hear them often 24 hours before hatching but I have heard others report even longer.

Well I have 19 out of 24 that hatched so far with one zipping and one pipped still. I am not home but that's what hubby said. I have been in the Pediatric floor of the hospital all weekend with my 9 year old who was accidently shot with a bb gun. It went through his abdomen, then through the stomach and intestine. He had to have surgery around midnight Fri and he is recovering now and doing good. What a weekend!! Should be here a few more days. My poor boy!
hit.gif

Oh dear! What a traumatic weekend for all of you! So glad to hear he is OK!
hugs.gif

Congratulations to those finally getting their first pips and chicks. Am I the only one left with zero?

I am bummed. I was so excited to join this hatch (ask DH, he has been laughing at me for weeks.) I did everything to the best of my ability, and was so proud. I have no idea what the problem is. I cleaned and disinfected the bator, I turned the eggs while waiting to start. I took notes and monitored the temp and humidity. The temp stayed at 99 the majority of the time and only dipped to 97 a couple of times after opening the bator. The air cells progressed according to the chart and although not ALL looked great at lock down, there were plenty that did. I have caught myself tearing up a time or two (and I am NOT a cryer.) I realised that every time I go to the bator, I get my hopes up and every time, there's nothing. I went to bed thinking there would be chicks in the morning.... nothing. I went to church and lunch thinking there would be pips when we got home.........nothing. It is torture, and I don't even know when to end it. How long do I wait?
hit.gif

So sorry Wisher! I wait until day 25 then candle to make sure there are none left viable. There are so many things that can go wrong. I am sure it was nothing you did! And I still have my fingers crossed that you just have some late bloomers! This has happened to me before so don't give up yet! We are only on day 22 so they still have plenty of time to hatch. Just as some folks were 3 days early, others can be 3 days late and still have great healthy chicks! *hugs*

Quote:
Missed your post the first time since I was still typing. So sorry! Don't give up yet! Wait a few more days to give the late ones a fighting chance! *hugs*

Last edited:
Well I have 19 out of 24 that hatched so far with one zipping and one pipped still. I am not home but that's what hubby said. I have been in the Pediatric floor of the hospital all weekend with my 9 year old who was accidently shot with a bb gun. It went through his abdomen, then through the stomach and intestine. He had to have surgery around midnight Fri and he is recovering now and doing good. What a weekend!! Should be here a few more days. My poor boy!
hit.gif

hugs.gif

I was joking because I think you deserve it. I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone who can beat it, but maybe there will be. I really do think you are blessed with sheer cuteness. I have my first crooked beak and it could win the ugliest chick prize.

My cross beak chick is precious in its own little way. Yours will grow on you.

Rebel, I was surprised to hear about the severe injury to your son from being shot with a BB gun. Most of us country folk have been shot (or been the shooter) by a BB gun with little ill effect. I have three boys that get popped by one of their brothers on a regular basis. It is always "an accident" and I have never worried about it too much. Wow, I may be hiding the BB's after this!

hit.gif

If you don't have any pips now I'd open up the bator and pick up an egg, put it next to your ear and tap on it lightly with your fingernail. If you hear peeping, put it back, they're still alive. If you don't hear anything you can eggtopsy and try to figure out what went wrong.
hugs.gif
If you don't want to go that route give it 72 hours from when they were due to hatch then toss the lot. I'm so sorry.
If I were you though I would eggtopsy, you can see if they at least absorbed the yolk or what stage they were at to help diagnose your issues.

ok pulled them all out from under the ecoglow and did a count. After I took the pic, added two more, plus there's one just out and one more pipped. So a total of 36 with a potential of 37. There's a few more eggs in the bator, but none are pipped or making noise.

Those are some handsome turkens!
love.gif
That first one made me giggle.

How long do I wait?
hit.gif

I'd give it a good 3 days after your expected hatch date. If you set on a Saturday that would be Tuesday you could do a float test or just tap on the egg and listen for a peep. If (and I hope they do) start to hatch make sure to write down your thermometer is reading a degree or two low. You know, take a note that you need to incubate at 100-101 F when using it next time.

Last edited:
Ok so just to be thorough I count my chicks after it is clear no more will be hatching. But, instead of the 37 I expected, there are 38. So a recount still 38. and all those yellow chicks are really hard to tell apart. And looking at my empty shells there is a B - got to be for Buckeye. Except I though I had pulled both earlier. And so out of the big wad of yellow chicks 2may be LCO's and one might be a buckeye. And taking all the chicks out of the brooder and putting them back in - counting each time - still gives me 38.

This is why I am not a bean counter.
Sounds like you are counting just fine using chicks! I used to do inventory in a previous life. Count the chicks lifting each out into another bin. Stop, write down the number. Repeat back into the brooder. If the same number. you're done. If different have another person count. Or if it's only you, count again.

hit.gif

Did you calibrate the thermometers before starting? ANd did you monitor the aircell development??

Temps over 100, up to 101 usually have a better result than 99 and lower. And as you probably know chick eggs need to lose 11-14% of their weight in moisture for that chick to pip and zip, well, zip really. THey may pip and get stuck if too big. If they don't pip perhaps the aircell isn't big enough. Sending you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom