Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Ok so just to be thorough I count my chicks after it is clear no more will be hatching. But, instead of the 37 I expected, there are 38. So a recount still 38. and all those yellow chicks are really hard to tell apart. And looking at my empty shells there is a B - got to be for Buckeye. Except I though I had pulled both earlier. And so out of the big wad of yellow chicks 2may be LCO's and one might be a buckeye. And taking all the chicks out of the brooder and putting them back in - counting each time - still gives me 38.

This is why I am not a bean counter.

Congratulations to those finally getting their first pips and chicks. Am I the only one left with zero?

Rebel, I was surprised to hear about the severe injury to your son from being shot with a BB gun. Most of us country folk have been shot (or been the shooter) by a BB gun with little ill effect. I have three boys that get popped by one of their brothers on a regular basis. It is always "an accident" and I have never worried about it too much. Wow, I may be hiding the BB's after this!

I am bummed. I was so excited to join this hatch (ask DH, he has been laughing at me for weeks.) I did everything to the best of my ability, and was so proud. I have no idea what the problem is. I cleaned and disinfected the bator, I turned the eggs while waiting to start. I took notes and monitored the temp and humidity. The temp stayed at 99 the majority of the time and only dipped to 97 a couple of times after opening the bator. The air cells progressed according to the chart and although not ALL looked great at lock down, there were plenty that did. I have caught myself tearing up a time or two (and I am NOT a cryer.) I realised that every time I go to the bator, I get my hopes up and every time, there's nothing. I went to bed thinking there would be chicks in the morning.... nothing. I went to church and lunch thinking there would be pips when we got home.........nothing. It is torture, and I don't even know when to end it. How long do I wait?
hit.gif

Well I have 19 out of 24 that hatched so far with one zipping and one pipped still. I am not home but that's what hubby said. I have been in the Pediatric floor of the hospital all weekend with my 9 year old who was accidently shot with a bb gun. It went through his abdomen, then through the stomach and intestine. He had to have surgery around midnight Fri and he is recovering now and doing good. What a weekend!! Should be here a few more days. My poor boy!
hit.gif

Oh, my!
hugs.gif
So sorry to hear about your son! And, glad to hear surgery went well, and he'll be okay. *whew*

Wisher1000, that must be terribly disappointing. Your temps sound a little low to me, so perhaps they are just running a little late. I know lots of us will keep fingers crossed for you!!!!!!!!!

ok pulled them all out from under the ecoglow and did a count. After I took the pic, added two more, plus there's one just out and one more pipped. So a total of 36 with a potential of 37. There's a few more eggs in the bator, but none are pipped or making noise.

Back
Top Bottom