Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mahonri, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I use a small swimming pool and a puppy play yard, both are inexpensive and reuseable. hope your babies get better

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    In true SCG fashion I hatched 15 girls and 8 boys.

I have no idea how I do it but I am consistent.

3. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Songster

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Soooo not fair. [​IMG]

Although, when I hatched my own flock's eggs, my ratio was much like yours according to the old-timers who were sexing my chicks as I was selling them. Hasn't benefited me much because I just usually am hatching shipped eggs.

I read... darn, somewhere that putting ACV in the water, which raises the acidity, can result in your hens producing more females. I do use ACV, but correlation is not causation. [​IMG] I've also read that putting younger cocks with older hens produces more female, but that's not the case around here. I don't know that anything we do can actually affect that ratio, but it would be awesome if it could.

Any thoughts? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I do it with shipped eggs from multiple sources and with my own flock. Whatever I'm doing though does the opposite for ducks, I hatched 4 boys and 1 girl. No idea what's causing it as I normally have a good hatch rate too, maybe all that's dying off are the boys?

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I am usually just thankful they hatch at all :rolleyes:

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Songster

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Mine were set really late due to my accident and they aren't due to hatch till the 17th of this month. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I candled them and they are looking really good though [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I haven't been on here much because it has been hard to sit in my chair with the broken ribs and surgical scar on my stomach but it is slowly healing now so only the ribs are sore.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Songster

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    It's so nice to "see" you. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. [​IMG]

8. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Songster

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Thank You [​IMG][​IMG] I still can't believe they sliced my entire stomach back open [​IMG]I guess they never heard of Laproscopy (sp?) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Songster

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I can't even imagine. I wish the doctor had been thinking on his feet a bit more. [​IMG]

10. Arielle

Arielle Crowing

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    SO glad that you are recovering. [​IMG][​IMG] Not sure what is worse, a smashed wrist or ouchy ribs. Both require management and percoset!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: