Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

7.gif

love.gif
How pretty!!! Gerrymander needs a friend, but I want to stick with the American Buff, not sure if I should get a baby from the feed store or one that is older with a known gender.

Does anybody else have grown kids that do this? I mean they almost never give me any warning, often calling me from the grocery store just assuming I have nothing more important to do then spend 20 mins on the phone giving detailed instructions which they will promptly forget by the time they get home so they will call to have me repeat it all over again. I'm torn between being flattered and feeling needed to being irritated that they don't seem to think I have a life outside of them. Apparently I must really like feeling needed and being flattered because I still drop everything when they call!

Yes! My middle daughter does this as well as my Brothers and Sister.

I have been moving my recipes from paper to digital for several years now, so I have a lot of recipes on my computer. I have set up a drop box account for sharing the recipe folder and have it shared with one of my brothers. My daughter can't open Word Docs, so has not accepted my offer to share the folder.

Saturday my brother sent an email saying he could not remember exactly how to make my whole wheat bread, so he opened the recipe from drop box and made three loaves of bread. He was very happy.

SunnyDawn: I made Broccoli Cheddar on Monday. I don't know if the Outback version is like this or not, and I just make soup--don't follow a recipe. I could tell you how I made it though.

WolfTracks: Funny about the daughter calling from Safeway. When I was 22 I worked in the Meat Dept. at Safeway as a Meat Clerk. It amazed me when Grandma's would ask me how to cook some type of meat. It was even more amazing when they listened to me an later told me how good it was
gig.gif

The bakery class I was talking about earlier: both me and their resident chef are 'dumpers'. I only use scales for really delicate measurements in pastry or cake making. I make a mean Bangladeshi curry but can't give out the recipe as it's a shake of this and a about that much of the other.

Am well delighted with myself, after trying half a dozen people to find someone to my my DD Fri evening for me I finally have it covered to get in for my emergency MRI. Result! Otherwise I'd be waiting months on a routine list.

Ha ha ha! So good to hear from others that have the same problem with being on call for recipes at all times. hee hee Sarah you definitely should go back for that degree! Older students are better students! I got my degrees later in life. Really enjoyed school as a reentry student. Hated school when I was younger.
smile.png

Ron I would love to try your recipe! I love recipes in general but I am really looking for good soup recipes. I don't have very many.

Sounds like we have a lot of great cooks/chefs on this thread!
woot.gif

Last edited:
Does anybody else have grown kids that do this? I mean they almost never give me any warning, often calling me from the grocery store just assuming I have nothing more important to do then spend 20 mins on the phone giving detailed instructions which they will promptly forget by the time they get home so they will call to have me repeat it all over again. I'm torn between being flattered and feeling needed to being irritated that they don't seem to think I have a life outside of them. Apparently I must really like feeling needed and being flattered because I still drop everything when they call!

Yes! My middle daughter does this as well as my Brothers and Sister.

I have been moving my recipes from paper to digital for several years now, so I have a lot of recipes on my computer. I have set up a drop box account for sharing the recipe folder and have it shared with one of my brothers. My daughter can't open Word Docs, so has not accepted my offer to share the folder.

Saturday my brother sent an email saying he could not remember exactly how to make my whole wheat bread, so he opened the recipe from drop box and made three loaves of bread. He was very happy.

SunnyDawn: I made Broccoli Cheddar on Monday. I don't know if the Outback version is like this or not, and I just make soup--don't follow a recipe. I could tell you how I made it though.

WolfTracks: Funny about the daughter calling from Safeway. When I was 22 I worked in the Meat Dept. at Safeway as a Meat Clerk. It amazed me when Grandma's would ask me how to cook some type of meat. It was even more amazing when they listened to me an later told me how good it was
gig.gif

I hear people asking all the time, Once some college kids were asking someone in the store about how to make something and one of the stockers took them to my daughter and she called me. Funny how you'd think they'd look it up onlne, but nope, I got a call.

Broccoli Cheddar...hmmmm I haven't made that since Bill died. He wasn't a veggie guy, but he really liked it. Matter of fact last time I made it Khamaria helped with that too. LOL It's one of her mom and dad's favorites so she took some to each house. You know, that sounds even better today.

Love to new pics. I think I need Chocolate Orps now.

Ha ha ha! So good to hear from others that have the same problem with being on call for recipes at all times. hee hee Sarah you definitely should go back for that degree! Older students are better students! I got my degrees later in life. Really enjoyed school as a reentry student. Hated school when I was younger.
smile.png

Ron I would love to try your recipe! I love recipes in general but I am really looking for good soup recipes. I don't have very many.

woot.gif

Thanks, I sat the entrance exam on Saturday and it was very nerve wracking. I felt I was at least 10 years older than the others there. I've taken the first step in applying and doing the exam, just have to face the decision if I actually get offered a place. It was a two hour English paper, 1 hour composition and 1 hour comprehension, so we'll see. It's a lot of travelling, I live 30 miles from the Uni, so it'll be a long commute. Especially as I'm partially disabled and a trip to the city usually involves a fair bit of planning.

The bakery class I was talking about earlier: both me and their resident chef are 'dumpers'. I only use scales for really delicate measurements in pastry or cake making. I make a mean Bangladeshi curry but can't give out the recipe as it's a shake of this and a about that much of the other.

Am well delighted with myself, after trying half a dozen people to find someone to my my DD Fri evening for me I finally have it covered to get in for my emergency MRI. Result! Otherwise I'd be waiting months on a routine list.

Glad it worked out. Those things can sometimes take forever. Hope everything works out. That's a lot of time off work.

This is where I used to bake and cook
http://claremontresort.rtrk.com/?scid=1904685&kw=6378928:16196&pub_cr_id=5468680280
Funny how it always shows up as Berkeley, but it's actually Oakland. The kitchen and vineyards are Berkeley, but the new owners seem to want to make the whole place Berkeley. I used to be able to see this place from my house when I was growing up. I wanted to buy t and turn it into a castle. When I started working there not too many people knew that it was actually built as one. The builder had it done for his wife. A lot of it burned down in the 1906 earth quake and they had to rebuild it. I start working there when I was 15 in the banquet deartment as a server. My mom and her friend snuck me in when there was a HUGE party. I thought I'd never be back after that night. LOL It was like a big family for years, but after a while the little cliques got bad, management was just frustrating and after 15 years I had my 5th baby and was tired of being away sometimes 18 hours a day and left. Big mistake. I made more money there than anywhere else I ever worked, So from the time I was really little, I loved to cook and especially bake. I took any kind of baking class I could get into at a young age and went to Chicago to take the main Wilton course. So one day a celebraty was there for their bday and no pastry chef. My mom tells the chef I can decorate and in shock he says "Baby can decorate? Let's see." I did the cake and went back to finish working a party. After that they called me back a lot. Then they got rid of the pastry department and started having things brought in. I'd get called back even more and I loved hanging with the cooks. They were some of the best ever. I was pretty spoiled there. If I was working in the wee hours of the morning they make me a huge Belgium Waffle with melted butter and maple syrup. I always got the best food. When they put in an employee cafeteria I got what the cooks were making in the back. When our banquet seasons were slow, I'd work in the kitchen, in catering or in the sales department. Then our union changed and I had to pick one department and banguets paid way better. Anyway, this was my start. I love that place. Bill and I were always going to go up, so he could see it, but something always happened where we couldn't. It's too bad the hotel has been donated and then sold. The owner was amazing. The views are to die for. I used to love watching the sun come up and shine on the Golden Gate and Bay bridges and it was the best sunsets ever. Guess you can tell I really loved it at one time.

Ha ha ha! So good to hear from others that have the same problem with being on call for recipes at all times. hee hee

I think my strangest was my first husband used to call and ask me how to make stuff long after we were divorced. He even called to ask how to make stuff after he was already living with someone. I guess she wasn't much of a cook.

Deb

wolftracks, the hotel sounds amazing! I worked once in a really fancy restaurant, i got in as I knew the head chef, and when he walked out I was left jobless. The Diva lifestyle is well and truly ingrained in chefs here! They demand and get, and then the rest of the staff have to just fall in. Learnt a lot about fine cuisine though, and even managed to pass on a few tricks. My mother in law is the best baker I know. She exports christmas puds and christmas cakes all over the worls, to my knowledge they have gone to Hawaii, Moscow, Dubai...

smile.png

woot.gif
Ok, Here goes
wink.png

This is based on a Wolf Gang Puck Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe. You can change this around and make Mushroom, Cauliflower, Broccoli or a combination:

For Broccoli Cheddar, Don't Saute Broccoli with Shallots and add 2 to 4 cups of cheddar at the end. Also, watch the Lemon Juice!

Cream-o-Mushroom or Broccoli Cheddar soup

¼ Cup Butter ¼ Cup Shallots
1 # chopped mushrooms ¼ tsp thyme

Melt butter and saute until mushrooms(Not Broccoli- don't saute broccoli) release a dark liquid. Shallots should be tender.

Add:

4 to 6 cups of chicken stalk(home made is best--One hour in a pressure cooker)
2 tbs of lemon juice
(use less or to taste)
2 to 4 cups of Broccoli tops for Broccoli Cheese
2 to 4 cups of Cheddar Cheese for Broccoli Cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook for 20 minutes. Puree in a blender. .

Add 1 tbs cornstarch dissolved in 1 cup of light cream(half and half). Add shredded cheddar cheese for Broccoli Cheddar version.

Bring to a boil and serve.

This is simple and tasty!

Ron

Back
Top Bottom