Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I don't know if this will help or not, but, I can tell you what just happened to me last week.
I had eggs in my incubator, and never did switch them over to the hatcher. Meaning.... the humidity never was increased. It was around 35%. Five of the eight eggs hatched. Nice clean hatch, too.....
Wow. Hmm. 50% might just work for lockdown.
Now to figure out the turner issue.

... because I would rather spend that $150 on coops than incubators...

Wow. Hmm. 50% might just work for lockdown.
Now to figure out the turner issue.

... because I would rather spend that $150 on coops than incubators...
Yes, since they will only be 5 days apart.

Go work on those coops
highfive.gif

Ron

Last edited:
Wow do you folks realize that this thread went for over an hour and a half with no one posting? There weren't many posts on BYC in general! I thought the sun flares had knocked out communications or something.

Yes, since they will only be 5 days apart.

Go work on those coops
highfive.gif

Ron
big_smile.png

How do you think I should handle the turning? Do I just not turn the later-set eggs after day 13 or so when the others are locked down? Do I remove some of the rails and try to divide the incubator into turning and not-turning areas?
hu.gif

I let mine turn until they started hatching... I had 2 out and I felt bad for them in the turner back and forth so I turned it off.

After the hatch was over I took everything out, cleaned the bator real fast (it was nasty), put the eggs back in and then restarted the turner.

big_smile.png

How do you think I should handle the turning? Do I just not turn the later-set eggs after day 13 or so when the others are locked down? Do I remove some of the rails and try to divide the incubator into turning and not-turning areas?
hu.gif
Turning the eggs past day 18 in the genesis should not hurt them. Like wise, not turning them an extra couple of days probably won't hurt them. I have read posts from people that had both happen and the chicks hatched fine. WolfTracks posted on the California the whole State thread that she completely forgot about the chicks in the bator until she heard peeps and looked in to find hatched chicks
gig.gif

Who got duck swap eggs? Any first time duck hatchers/owners? These kids crack me up.

I'm a first time duck owner of about a week now. I've had chickens since August of last year and love them to bits. The very first time I let the ducklings swim in the sink, my sister and I watched them for a couple of minutes, then looked at each other and I said, "Why didn't we get ducks before?" My sister replied, "I like them better than chickens."
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom