Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I had to throw out 7 eggs tonight after candling.
sad.png

I hear that Araucanas are hard to hatch..true?

Love the inventions... the candler is cool, the netting is cool (I use fishing line strung up like a cats cradle) and the brooder is cool.

Gunna be 75 here again today
celebrate.gif
and I'm off tomorrow
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

We can get used Gill net at the landfill transfer stations. The fishermen can come and dump it separate from the trash. The trick is to find some that isn't wicked stinky
wink.png
then we fit it over the runs.

I live in Modesto calif No snow. I have to drive to the snow if I want to see it. (Not.) I like the heat. I think snow would fall though the chain link size holes Maybe not. never lived in the snow country. Oh take that back occasionly it sprinkles snow.
You would think, but it doesn't <heavy sigh>

I just realize I have been sitting at this darn computer for 2.5 hours! And only 15 minutes of that was actually doing anything productive! I suppose I should go pretend to do something constructive. OH I know! I can go check the incubator temps again!

yuckyuck.gif

My internet service went down. . .. .and I missed 300 posts! . THat's 30 pages!!!
Relax, I'm like 80 pages behind. I'm just chillin (literally) waiting for the plumbers t get done adding the new hot water tank onto the boiler. Our water heater died yesterday so now we are upgrading.

Quote:
Spoken like a true addict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl911

I am so sorry for you loss
hugs.gif
what happened to the hawk i hope they killed it

I'm sure they didn't, they are protected. It is unfortunate when our flocks get on the menu. I always hold my breath when the hawks fly over, and I'm sure I've lost some, just never had to see it happen! I did witness a close call one day, but the targeted Iowa Blue/Ameraucana hen won the fight without a scratch.

Chick-among-us, you are superwoman holding that bird! I admire your restraint in not hurting it. Even knowing I shouldn't, I would have been tempted to SSS.

Ditto, I don't think I could have shown such restraint.

I will not candle until Monday evening or Tuesday at noon..

Only got 6 eggs today.

I've got to get some anti-biotics. Some of my GHD chicks have swollen eyes.... I hope I don't loose another SFH

The acronyms around here are enough to drive anyone to distraction, much less a newbie!! What the heck are those two??

You should get some Tobramycin drops, as just a couple of treatments can fix pink-eye, which can affect chicks easily, since they scratch their eyes with poop-laden toes.

Works WAAAAAAAAAAY better than stupid Terramycin ointment.

I got 12 eggs today! Four are pullet eggs! I am so egg-cited! I have 9 hens and 10 pullets and they are kicking into high gear. I have an Exel spreadsheet that keeps track of my chickens (date hatched, date purchased, date deceased, gender, breed, color, name and distinguishing features) my eggs collected daily, and monthly, and yearly. It also tracks feed purchased and consumed. I tried to share it but I don't have permission to have attachments. I got 132 eggs in January`, 172 in Feb., and 161 so far this month.
wee.gif

Can you upload your spreadsheet onto Google Documents so that you can hare it with the world there? It even gets its own link to publish to folks.

I'm at 247 so far this month, LOL. I also keep a spreadsheet of every egg (I also weigh them in grams, but only record the egg as J, X, L or M (used to have S & P), but haven't had one of those since they first started.

This is from my 15 girls. The best they've ever done is a 14 egg day, still haven't hit a "no boarder" day.

Congrats, your numbers will continue to climb. Mine are all about 11 mos old now.

Deb

I did that, too, and have notebooks filled with data...but it's a lot harder when you're keeping 100+ grown birds and 100+ chicks at any given time. I gave up and have good pen data, but not individual data.

Some of my Icelandics today........... had to let them out of their muddy pen!

I have a serious problem. I can't help but look at all of the lovely colors and start doing the math as to what one could get if one put this one with that one and then bred this to that and I bet this one has dominant white, so....

...I need to sleep. I'm a nutball from no sleep this week.

Gotta brag for a sec... My DW earned her Black Belt tonight in Uchido.. We are very proud of her and I thought I'd share with my "chicken" family! (now you know why I have a concealed weapons permit.. it's so I can still take her out into public...)

Is that related to Ki Aikido? I did that and Judo when I was young. Best part is that even when one doesn't advance to such an extent, it sticks with you. I did a John wayne throw on a drunk dude when he grabbed me in a bar once. It was entirely without any thought and I really was under threat, so as he grabbed my collar, I grabbed his and 'fell' backward, tossing him over me quite a distance. It was entirely reflexive, and it was amazing. I taught my girls how to release grips as soon as they could learn. It's great to give your daughter that amazing ability to defend herself and others, and it's a wonderful way for her self-discipline to have been developed. Fabulous!

GHD = Ground Hog's Day
SFH = Swedish Flower Hen

I can NOT keep up with this thread! But guess what??!! (in my home, the required response is 'chicken butt') ~ in case any of ya'll ever visit. But seriously... I know I'm too late, but I'm hatching!!!! Woo hooo, I DID score an incubator. And that is not even the craziest part, nope, not hardly. I HAD to go get the LG that was on sale Tractor supply because my DS brought home an impossibly large EMU, yes! EMU egg from school for us to hatch.

So I brought the temp down in the LG to 97, and at approximately 6:30 pm EST tonight, I added some water, and one impossibly, perfectly, pretty Emu egg. Aaaaahhhhhhh!!.

Last edited:
I tried to post to the how many will hatch spreadsheet but I cant get it to let me! I'm knightie I think there will be 569 eggs hatched. Uhm I think 69 of Mahonri's will hatch and thr first or hatched will be w/wb amerucana (sp) gold laced orps and small dark layers anything else needed for this?

Knightie, I'm not sure, did you PM Mahroni? and I think all of the rules and info are on page 1 of the thread. I haven't signed on myself as I wasn't ready in time. I hope this helps?g

Back
Top Bottom