Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

BRITISH HUMOUR IS DIFFERENT. Craig's list in the UK!

VERY funny, Mahonri!!!

lau.gif

Gotta brag for a sec... My DW earned her Black Belt tonight in Uchido.. We are very proud of her and I thought I'd share with my "chicken" family! (now you know why I have a concealed weapons permit.. it's so I can still take her out into public...)

You are lucky to have a strong, capable wife. Her skills and training may come in handy one day and will keep you straight the rest of the time. I am trained in firearms use (NRA and FBI instructor certifications, handgun, rifle and shotgun expert badges) and DH and I have to have two guns when we go on vacation. The problem is, neither of us wants the other to grab the only gun if something goes wrong!
lau.gif

Oh Kathy!
th.gif

I wish, I am always wishing, I could have roosters..just beautiful! What color is that on the brown hens?

You should share my user name! This is how I feel about lots of things! It gives me goals and keeps me working toward them! Keep wishing, keep working to make them come true!

Look what showed up today to keep me occupied until the Easter hatch.

LF WC black polish & SP rocks and bantam BR & buff brahma. Those polish are cuter than cute!
love.gif

wee.gif

Deb

Oh Deb, those little fuzz butts are adorable! Word of caution, I had some of the LF WCB Polish and they are predator magnets (and are either spacey or dumb as rocks) The girls were the first to be taken while still pullets, they wouldn't run from anything, the roo would run and hide if it was anything new, but would square off at my shoes. I finally gave him away. I loved the look, but probably will never have a free range flock of these.

GHD = Ground Hog's Day
SFH = Swedish Flower Hen

I can NOT keep up with this thread! But guess what??!! (in my home, the required response is 'chicken butt') ~ in case any of ya'll ever visit. But seriously... I know I'm too late, but I'm hatching!!!! Woo hooo, I DID score an incubator. And that is not even the craziest part, nope, not hardly. I HAD to go get the LG that was on sale Tractor supply because my DS brought home an impossibly large EMU, yes! EMU egg from school for us to hatch.

So I brought the temp down in the LG to 97, and at approximately 6:30 pm EST tonight, I added some water, and one impossibly, perfectly, pretty Emu egg. Aaaaahhhhhhh!!

My Dad, brother and sisters all said this when we were young, I thought it was something Dad made up! Of course, we were not allowed to say 'butt' so the reply was "Chicken Squat!"

No lo creo.

Pero si, tengo que creerlo.

Me llamo una vez mas.... ese Madre de la Naturaleza.

Okay, I DON'T speak Spanish but I think this says something like "I don't believe the dog will answer the call of mother nature."

Morning all. Woke up at 3 am.

I have my friend's funeral today. Gonna be a looooong day.

We will be there with you,
hugs.gif
like this in spirit, all day..............

Quote:
Oh, dear. She wants to roast one of your ducks? I guess that's why some freezers lock.

It's what debs_flock said, "They just don't get it." Even I don't get it with ducks. A bath every day? Ooof! That takes real "duck love" to keep up with that. But even friends who just want me to hatch out some chicks for them (I offered) don't understand about how I have to keep the chicks with Rooster X for 2-3 weeks before I can start collecting their eggs, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum. It makes me realize that some of the stuff they do for me is also probably more work than I realize.

Well, at least your neighbor provided us in this thread with a bit of amusement.
lau.gif

Quote:
Be careful ... I might just show up with my sleeping bag ready to do your bird chores for three days in exchange for a relatively clean spot of ground to pitch my backpacker's tent. Good luck with the youngster. I would have dearly loved to have a neighbor with ducks and chickens when I was 5 or 6 -- a dream come true. But I tell you what ... I had a friend in high school that had geese running around and they hated me. Scared me half to death. A nightmare come true.

So... my calves are too scared of the little peeps to come get a drink, but my little 4lb dog thinks he is master of it all... LOL

Big day! Happy big chicks! Hey! What's your gray chick brooder doing upside down in your pasture? Mine's in the living room! (Yes, I know that's a stock waterer. I had quite the time getting it into the living room. But desperate times call for desperate measures.)

I got 12 eggs today! Four are pullet eggs! I am so egg-cited! I have 9 hens and 10 pullets and they are kicking into high gear. I have an Exel spreadsheet that keeps track of my chickens (date hatched, date purchased, date deceased, gender, breed, color, name and distinguishing features) my eggs collected daily, and monthly, and yearly. It also tracks feed purchased and consumed. I tried to share it but I don't have permission to have attachments. I got 132 eggs in January`, 172 in Feb., and 161 so far this month.
wee.gif

Oooooh! I need one of those spreadsheets. Well, wait, I guess I used to use one for listing my hens, but I didn't have the egg counting and feed consumption included. But if I were to actually know how much feed consumption is, I think I'd not be happy. So maybe ignorance is bliss--especially since I've 20 little chicks tossing their feed out of their feeder at an alarming rate. There. Talked myself out making a spreadsheet for feed consumption quite quickly.

And now I'm marking my spot with a dull, boring, and omnipresent X. (I enjoy everybody else's Xs.) (Yes, that is a slight nod to Steve Martin.)

You know, it's not too hard to make the spreadsheet. I just put the month at the top then the days of the month in a column below that. I put three months on each page so I can print it if I want. Each day I type in the number of eggs collected in the column to the right of the day and in the next column to the right I keep a running total...like this....

January February March
Day Eggs Total Day Eggs Total Day Eggs Total
1 6 6 1 1
2 3 9 2 2
3 7 16 3 3
4 10 26 4 4
5 8 34 5
6 6 40 6
7 7 47 7

Then for the feed, I just list the type, weight, cost, and date purchased. I really just track what I buy so that I can see the monthly expense of keeping my birds. For the birds, I have a column for Hatched, Aquired, Deceased, (all dates) Gender, Breed, Color, Name and Distinguishing Features (all text fields.) It helps me keep track of total number in all categories (total number of birds, hens, 10 month olds, etc.)
You can make the totals update automatically with Exel, but that is a bit more complicated. Go into Excel and play with it if you are not familiar with it. Exel will do everything that Word will do and then some! Any problems you have will be covered online if you google the issue. Try it!

Last edited:
Some of my Icelandics today........... had to let them out of their muddy pen!
love.gif
Gorgeous! I love the variety.

Gotta brag for a sec... My DW earned her Black Belt tonight in Uchido.. We are very proud of her and I thought I'd share with my "chicken" family! (now you know why I have a concealed weapons permit.. it's so I can still take her out into public...)
Is that related to Ki Aikido? I did that and Judo when I was young. Best part is that even when one doesn't advance to such an extent, it sticks with you. I did a John wayne throw on a drunk dude when he grabbed me in a bar once. It was entirely without any thought and I really was under threat, so as he grabbed my collar, I grabbed his and 'fell' backward, tossing him over me quite a distance. It was entirely reflexive, and it was amazing. I taught my girls how to release grips as soon as they could learn. It's great to give your daughter that amazing ability to defend herself and others, and it's a wonderful way for her self-discipline to have been developed. Fabulous!
thumbsup.gif
Awesome! I used to fence. If there was a stick or a pool cue handy, maybe I could poke 'em with it.
hide.gif

BRITISH HUMOUR IS DIFFERENT. Craig's list in the UK!
lau.gif
Hilarious.

Last edited:
Be careful ... I might just show up with my sleeping bag ready to do your bird chores for three days in exchange for a relatively clean spot of ground to pitch my backpacker's tent. Good luck with the youngster. I would have dearly loved to have a neighbor with ducks and chickens when I was 5 or 6 -- a dream come true. But I tell you what ... I had a friend in high school that had geese running around and they hated me. Scared me half to death. A nightmare come true.

Like I said, come on up (or over, or down - not sure where you are). We are Vacationland for a reason. I have a huge farmhouse, and at least 2 bedrooms that aren't being used so you could pitch your tent outside or in. :)

We had a goose when I was younger, that my sister would torment, chase it with the broom. It got even with her, once. That was the highlight of my year.

Yup, week one contests are officially over! Week two contests have begun today. Make sure to check out the contest page for more details.
Thebirdguy's
hatching-chicken-hello.jpg
Cutest Baby Picture Contest WEEK TWO CONTEST
Kellyn's
Best Incubator Design Contest WEEK TWO CONTEST

Back
Top Bottom