Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Here are a couple of pics of a mini bator that I made for my nephew in Washington for an Easter present. I got the Styrofoam box from the local fish store it was used to ship live fish. My girls decorated it for him from pics cut out of hatchery magazines. I hope you all like it. " Just doing my part to spread the fever to the younger generation!"

Great job Jessshan8........on the incubator and influencing the younger generation!!
thumbsup.gif

Okay, a last minute entry to the Chicken Design contest. She said she'd still take them for the good of the community since the poll wasn't created yet.

Once again, a piece of foam pipe insulation. It takes two snips of a pair of scissors (the length you want and to open the side), two pieces of papertowel to plug the ends, three pieces of tape and your eggs are ready to pack for shipment. The foam costs about $2 for a six foot length. All eggs can stand the correct orientation and side by side in the box. You can add a little filler between the cylinders if they don't fill the box.

I like this idea!!
clap.gif

Its time to announce a winner for....

Drum Roll Please.........

images

With a guess of 11,000 the winner is JEH1984
Total number of eggs set was 11,187!
Congratulations JEH1984, you will receive a PM Shortly!

Congratulations JEH1984!!!
yippiechickie.gif

I really really like this idea! Thanks!

Thanks, I've wrapped a few shipments in bubble wrap and it's a time consuming process.

The foam insulator comes in many interior dimensions (to fit many sizes of pipe). The smallest would fit a small bantam egg (97 cents for 6 feet), this size was $1.97 and the egg in the picture was a jumbo. We also bought the mid-size which will fit a standard large-x-large egg.

Deb

Edited to add - I thought about just slipping the egg in without opening the side, but I was afraid the recipient might break the egg when trying to slide it back out if there was condensation or something.

Last edited:
I'm sorry... but what does this even mean?? My nails are mine, I buy them whenever I want them. Is this a nasty gram? What did I do? ALL I did was tell a story to people who would understand, because I didnt even TELL some of the people in my daily life cause they are clueless about chickens.. I sure am sorry that my dang pictures have been all over these forums all day and if yall want( I know its aggravating even to me I gotta hurry and scroll down to read)...I will take it off, if there is a way ...but I don't know how...
not really sure what to do with this...

Quote:
I believe this was a compliment also. I'm so glad you weren't hurt in the whole process, and when I was turning eggs this morning I told all the eggs that came from your house just how brave you were and how cool the pictures looked :) I know I'm miles and miles behind but This is the part I'm reading today.

Quote:
The dry hatch instruction written by Renee give a target range not a set number that it must be. And yes it does address still air vs fan, of course that is assuming you are meaning Chookschick's page and not some other page that I'm not aware of
wink.png

And "Ditto" on the cool tips and tricks. I'm learning a lot from hearing what everyone else is doing. Thanks to all for sharing.

Looks like our hatchers have a life today!
thumbsup.gif

I've been out working in the yard, went shopping to Costco, fixed myself a couple tomato sandwiches. YUM.

I still need to take a run to the feed store for antibiotics and pine shavings. Still need to take pics of some of my chickens I'll be putting up on Craig's List. I found some drops for pinkeye for the chicks but you have to have a prescription for it.
sad.png
I hate having to go through a "middle-man".

I can't believe how feed prices have gone up. We will all have to start charging more for our eggs soon.

It's a gorgeous day out there!

Currently
cloudy.gif
88.5 °F
Overcast

Today
mostlycloudy.gif
88° | 61°

Sunday
mostlycloudy.gif
84° | 55°

Monday
partlycloudy.gif
77° | 55°

Tuesday
clear.gif
81° | 55°

Wednesday
partlycloudy.gif
84° | 55°

At Costco, regular gas was 3.87 a gallon! No wonder everything costs so much!

Dang, I'm feeling like a nap, but I've got to get stuff done.

Have a great Saturday!

Luv y'all,

M

I can NOT keep up with this thread! But guess what??!! (in my home, the required response is 'chicken butt') ~ in case any of ya'll ever visit. But seriously... I know I'm too late, but I'm hatching!!!! Woo hooo, I DID score an incubator. And that is not even the craziest part, nope, not hardly. I HAD to go get the LG that was on sale Tractor supply because my DS brought home an impossibly large EMU, yes! EMU egg from school for us to hatch.

So I brought the temp down in the LG to 97, and at approximately 6:30 pm EST tonight, I added some water, and one impossibly, perfectly, pretty Emu egg. Aaaaahhhhhhh!!.

Glad you could join us!!!
lau.gif

Very nice. I have a cooler just like that sitting here and haven't touched it in 6 months. We used the magazine pic idea to mark feed buckets. My rabbit food get feed to all the hens when I was in the hospital.

Here are a couple of pics of a mini bator that I made for my nephew in Washington for an Easter present. I got the Styrofoam box from the local fish store it was used to ship live fish. My girls decorated it for him from pics cut out of hatchery magazines. I hope you all like it. " Just doing my part to spread the fever to the younger generation!"

I can't believe how feed prices have gone up. We will all have to start charging more for our eggs soon.

At Costco, regular gas was 3.87 a gallon! No wonder everything costs so much!

I can't get my cost in feed for my eggs. They can get two dozen eggs at Costco for $2.50. Many people don't appreciate quality. You just have to get them hooked on your product first, like a drug dealer
lau.gif
I don't have so many extra eggs that I want to give that many away. Just for family we use 5 dozen a week (I bake a lot) and then I have to give a dozen a week to my masseuse.............I'd do anything for that girl! If it came to giving eggs to non-appreciative people, I'd rather feed them back to my girls and cut my feed costs down.

And $3.87, I wish. I filled up at Costco last week and it was $4.23. We have so many dang fuel taxes in CA.

Deb

Today has been good and bad, but I'll survive it. I'm going to candle the eggs tonight and check on the broodies' eggs.

Glad to see someone else posting updates about how their hatch is going.
wink.png
Razadia, hope you see lots of veins and "blobs" in your candling efforts tonight.
I candled my 24 Silkie eggs yesterday (which was my Day 7 since I had to set them a bit early). One of the pens had 11 clears
sad.png
(meaning the roo wasn't doing his job or their butts were too fluffy
hu.gif
). I hope it's OK to scramble them up and feed them to the big girls...'cuz that's what I did. The breeder, fortunately has offered to give me replacement eggs which I'm very grateful for!
big_smile.png

The other 13 Silkie eggs had nice veins and floating blobs inside so I'm hoping they will continue to develop and hatch.
fl.gif

I also looked at and marked the aircells. On Day 7 they are bigger than nickels up to the size of a quarter so I think my humidity is right on. (It is hovering b/n 35-45%) Last time I used "dry hatch methods" with my humidity b/n 20-35% and the aircells got too big, causing 6 out of 10 to get shrinkwrapped in the shell. Thankfully 4 hatched. That batch of eggs were "shipped" so IMHO I think the aircells were a little more fragile to begin with.
Happy Hatching Everyone.
jumpy.gif

A most excellent idea! (Mind if all of us borrow it?)

Okay, a last minute entry to the Chicken Design contest. She said she'd still take them for the good of the community since the poll wasn't created yet.

Once again, a piece of foam pipe insulation. It takes two snips of a pair of scissors (the length you want and to open the side), two pieces of papertowel to plug the ends, three pieces of tape and your eggs are ready to pack for shipment. The foam costs about $2 for a six foot length. All eggs can stand the correct orientation and side by side in the box. You can add a little filler between the cylinders if they don't fill the box.

Deb

I am happy to announce that my husband (who gripes about all the chickens) came in today and threw money on the bed and said "Go buy your self another incubator."
th.gif
I have been telling him that I "needed" another one as a hatcher cause my hens don't lay enough to effectively fill an incubator so I need a second one... I figured it was going to be a scenario where I just went out and bought it anyway and had to listen to it when I got home. Never thought I would have "permission" first lol. So off I went to the feed store
wee.gif
and I was able to refrain myself somehow from buying the ducklings. Now if they were black I would have came home with all they had lol. It was easy keeping myself from the chicks, they were all LF and all I own are bantams.

I'm so excited!
celebrate.gif
Ya know I'm starting to think that the only reason why he gripes is because he doesn't want anyone to think he is a softy lol.

Back
Top Bottom