Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Quote: Oh the struggles . . . . I hyperventilate too . . . but . .. .

Quote:
THe numbers freak inside me drive me to think about how to build a spread sheet . . . ! I lived on Lotus some years ago . . . . . I'm hoping Ihave forgotten enoughto learn Excel . Just don't know hoe to go about learning it! I look at the cells ( yrs algo) and can figure what to put into them. SO I don't . . .
th.gif

Quote:
barnie.gif
Friends actually pick hay off my shirt!! No one has dared pull it out of my hair!

ANd yes, they are fantastic liars!!! Who said chickens were stupid?

Okay, a last minute entry to the Chicken Design contest. She said she'd still take them for the good of the community since the poll wasn't created yet.

Once again, a piece of foam pipe insulation. It takes two snips of a pair of scissors (the length you want and to open the side), two pieces of papertowel to plug the ends, three pieces of tape and your eggs are ready to pack for shipment. The foam costs about $2 for a six foot length. All eggs can stand the correct orientation and side by side in the box. You can add a little filler between the cylinders if they don't fill the box.

Deb
Deb--sorry I missed it--how much for the tubing?? I just used roll from thePO to wrap 3 doz + eggs. How many eggs per tube of insulation so you think???

Quote:
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

Gives a whole new meaning to The Joys Of Parenting
gig.gif

My kids took Tae Kwon Do and although I don't know what color the belts were, between that and raising goats, I know they have lightening reflexes, bodies of steel and they can catch an escaping goat in mid air and fling her back over the fence before she can say Baaaa
lol.png
I have no doubt, any boy (or hawk) who thinks he's going to get away with something will be in for a wicked surprise
wink.png

gig.gif

Last edited:
Breaking News: I apparently have a broody Cayuga duck! She has made her nest in the oddest location. Well, trying to think from a duck's perspective, it's a really good spot. However, it's surrounded by "stuff" I absolutely must move (should have moved a few months ago, as a matter of fact) and I'm sure that would make it less secure for her nest.

<*sigh*> This was the weekend to tidy up that area. I mean, it's right in front of the house, in the concrete edged so-called planter, most of which is used as a chicken dust bathing spa. Except where I stacked stuff to "eventually" take into the house. Yup, all that stuff has been out there in the rain, will need to be really scrubbed (some of it tossed away, I'm sure) but now I simply cannot do it without destroying a perfect nest. I am pleased she didn't make her nest out in the meadow or gully somewhere in the vinca.

Silly duck.
love.gif

Last edited:
Deb--sorry I missed it--how much for the tubing?? I just used roll from thePO to wrap 3 doz + eggs. How many eggs per tube of insulation so you think???

gig.gif

It takes about a 3 inch piece to enclose the egg. The size I used for a jumbo egg was $2 for six feet. So for the $2 you could wrap 24 eggs. The smaller size (bantam) was only $1. The best part for me is I could have all those eggs wrapped in less than 30 minutes. The bubblewrap took me ages. They also are completely stable and will stand up on their own. These are also totally reusable. Pull off the tape and they could be mailed over and over.

Deb

I PRAY SHE DOESN'T MIND ME SHARING THIS WITH YOU... (if she does I'll delete
hide.gif
) BUT,
Kathy is a MAJOR HERITAGE breeder here in the United States of America!.... She has almost got the new modern version of the Heritage Delaware Breed down to a science starting with the very best of the best Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks and the very best Heritage New Hampshires available anywhere.

Check out these lovelies... just 1 or 2 generations away from being completely perfect.... I drool just looking at them!

Kathy's Modern Heritage Delawares!

OH, and check out this lovely pullet on the right! She is DIVINE!

900x900px-LL-b0b5a9f9_mudmisc004.jpeg

10 eggs today and 5 of my 7 Ameraucanas laid... OH, HOW I WISH I HAD A ROO! How I would love to put those eggs in someone's bator... they are the bluest of blue too.

Incredibly busy day here...

Got my new garden fence put up. Last year my fat hens would contort to get through the fence and destroy things. They'd be joined by the groundhog. This year, hopefully not. At least, not in that garden. I've got some raised beds out front that are still unprotected.

Got my cold weather crops started. Had to make seed tape for my carrots with paper towel strips and "glue" made of flour and water.

Then the poop board/table broke in the coop (too many fat bottom biddies jumping on it) and had to fix that.

Started building the cold frame...

Oh and got called into work while I was COVERED in chicken feces and sawdust. I declined to go in (even if I was clean I would have declined) so I had to talk to my boss, too, since the nurses threw a fit.
rant.gif

This is great! I love that you used chicks at that oh-so-awkward stage.

Here are a couple of pics of a mini bator that I made for my nephew in Washington for an Easter present. I got the Styrofoam box from the local fish store it was used to ship live fish. My girls decorated it for him from pics cut out of hatchery magazines. I hope you all like it. " Just doing my part to spread the fever to the younger generation!"
I love this! Fantastic, and the girls did a great job decorating. Super cute!
Okay, a last minute entry to the Chicken Design contest. She said she'd still take them for the good of the community since the poll wasn't created yet.

Got it! Thanks.
We'll close the contest on that note. Thanks, everyone, for your submissions.
A most excellent idea! (Mind if all of us borrow it?)
That's the idea!
big_smile.png

That sounds like a productive day, SCG! Hoping to do as well tomorrow. Mahonri, thanks for sharing the pictures of Kathy's flock. She is awesome. What knowledge and skill!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom