Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Quote:

Congrats JEH! I was only 1,000 off on my guess lol. I guessed 12,000. I had no clue so I used my handy calculator and used estimates lol.

HAA haaa . . . I used estimated averages too. Figured about middle third would have about 50 , the upper 25% 75 or so and the lower 25% about 15. BUT I put in my numbers too early!!!! I figured about 150 participants, NOT 230!!! That really killed my estimate!! LOL

My chicken art!!!! didn't know where to enter. Dogs must have thought they looked ediable. Left them on the desk when I went to put chickens in. They ate them.....

ep.gif
THey ate them? THey are beautifully funny! Glad you got a photo before they became a snack.

I PRAY SHE DOESN'T MIND ME SHARING THIS WITH YOU... (if she does I'll delete
hide.gif
) BUT,
Kathy is a MAJOR HERITAGE breeder here in the United States of America!.... She has almost got the new modern version of the Heritage Delaware Breed down to a science starting with the very best of the best Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks and the very best Heritage New Hampshires available anywhere.

Check out these lovelies... just 1 or 2 generations away from being completely perfect.... I drool just looking at them!

Kathy's Modern Heritage Delawares!

OH, and check out this lovely pullet on the right! She is DIVINE!

900x900px-LL-b0b5a9f9_mudmisc004.jpeg
Thank you so much, Mahonri! I am really excited about this project. Out of 200 eggs hatched, I got only 3 females and about 20 males to go on to the F3s. All the rest were barred, black, buff columbian, or buff barred. I gave away tons of chicks. I am hopeful the F3s (which should be 100% Delaware) will do justice to the breed. I will continue to work on them. The Delawares are the first breed I fell in love with. It is a shame that our heritage breeds are becoming so rare.

Here is a picture of my favorite pullet and favorite cockerel, so far......

LL

To continue on with this project, I need to sell my other breeds. I have 18 pens and coops, and it takes lots of room for a project like this. Sooooooo, if anyone is interested in my other stock, PM me. I won't ship them. I am keeping only: New Hampshires, Barred Rocks, Projects, Icelandics, and 1 pen of Silver Laced Wyandottes. All the others are going.......

Last edited:
Blarneyeggs, try PM'ing Kathy. She just hatched two. Or you could PM The Sherriff. She has hatched some emus out.

hahaha. You won't get much help from me. I hatched by sheer luck. I know NOTHING ! ! Check the emu forum though. Those guys are the experts. All I know is 97.5 temp and 30% humidity the entire hatch. Oh, and turn them 180 degrees a few times a day, too.
lol.png
Luck, I tell ya, pure luck!

Last edited:

To continue on with this project, I need to sell my other breeds. I have 18 pens and coops, and it takes lots of room for a project like this. Sooooooo, if anyone is interested in my other stock, PM me. I won't ship them. I am keeping only: New Hampshires, Barred Rocks, Projects, Icelandics, and 1 pen of Silver Laced Wyandottes. All the others are going.......

Road trip to MO anyone?

I have a question for any Eco-glow owners.

The black sheet of stuff on the underside is not glued in place. The legs hold it in place well, and it works fine, but should I try to glue it on? Does anyone else have one with the black sheet not really attached? I'm going to try writing to Brinsea, since I don't know what type of glue to use, but was wondering if anyone else had this experience.

SCG, I love the carrot seed tape (I hate thinning carrots)! Does it take a long time to make it? Could you paint skinny stripes the length of the paper towel and then cut it? I'm going to have to experiment with this. I wouldn't let DH plant the peas this weekend. The soil is workable, but it will be cold this week and I worry the seeds will rot. We did put in a little lettuce though.

ok got a question i found out i got a broody 4 days ago i told my husband to not disturb her at all and that
rant.gif
disturbed her today and chunked the eggs he said he forgot yeah what ever my question is if i put more under her will she stay till they hatch

It didn't take that long once I had a rhythm down and added more water to my glue. If it's not watery enough, it's a mess to try and get it to stick to the paper towel.

This is the first time I've tried making seed tape, so I'm not sure what else could be done to make it better. I tried string first, actually, instead of paper towels, but that was a disaster. I would NOT suggest trying it on thread or string.

All I've planted in the ground are some scallions, lettuce, spinach, cabbage and the carrots. Hopefully nothing will rot. I have a row cover over it, too.

I hoed a few times and bf tilled the garden up and it was nice and dry, so I'm hoping I get an early start instead of rot.

Back
Top Bottom