Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

yuckyuck.gif

Mahonri's 3rd Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long Contests

1. Best Hatch Rate
For this contest during this hatch, participants will need to be setting a minimum of 24 eggs, with confirmation picture posted to this thread on set day. These can be under a couple of broodies or in your incubators. Tell us how many you will have cooking and then don't go back and edit your post where you tell us how many eggs you start with. We'll need that info by Monday the 19th of March at latest to be included in the contest. When the hatch is over, you'll take a pic and post it to show us how many you actually got...the picture must be of sufficient quality to count all the chicks.
In the event of a tie, the one who hatches the most chicks wins.

2. Cutest
baby_chicken-53.gif
Chick Picture
For this contest, the chick hatched must be from Mahonri's 3rd Annual BYC Easter Hatch. The picture will need to be taken and posted by or before 11:59PM on April 15th, 2012... We'll be asking folks in the hatch as well as some moderators to help judge if they are willing. There will be 1st and 2nd place awards given.

rooster-66.gif
Best Overall Hatch Participant
rooster-66.gif

At the end of the hatch, PM your choice for best hatch participant to Mahonri. This should be someone who you thought was supportive, helpful, funny, encouraging... The person with the most votes wins! Votes will start on April 10th and end on April 12th, 2012.

4. How Many Chicks
poussins.gif
Will Mahonri Hatch?
Your guess needs to be made before 11:59:59PM on March 24th, 2012. The guesses will be posted above somewhere beside the hatch participant's name.
In order to help break a tie, You'll need to guess the breeds of the first three chicks out. If you want to know what breeds are in Mahonri's bators read the thread! Laree will be putting up a spreadsheet for the # of guesses and the first three breeds.

5. CayuseRanch's Total Number of Eggs Set Contest
This contest is open to all participants to guess the total number of eggs that will be set by all participants in Mahonri's 3rd Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long! Each participant is to fill out the spreadsheet with their guess as to the total number of eggs that participants will be placing in their incubators for this hatch. All "guesses" must be submitted no later than Midnight EST, Sunday March 11th. Please submit your total number of eggs set to the spreadsheet by Midnight EST Tuesday, March 20th so we can tally up what was set and declare a winner. The person who comes closest to guessing the total number without going over will win a beautiful rooster egg basket.
Go here to submit your guess for the number of eggs set:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dE5FSUpmRmdCWXJZV1BlampFOUxCSkE6MQ#gid=0
Prize:
6. Kathyinmo's
chicken-87.gif
Calendar Photo Contest
The goal is to make a poultry and holiday themed calendar. Submit your poultry related holiday pictures - all ranges of poultry age accepted. You will need to submit your photos on this thread as well as PM them to kathyinmo. Submission of your picture(s) to this thread and to kathyinmo means that you are giving permission to use their photo in a calendar printing. Contest runs until Easter.
Limit of 3 entries per person.

7. Notafarm's
Icon_chicken8.gif
An Opportune Time Award
Three random post numbers have been chosen (known only to NotAFarm and SCG). The person who posts at that "opportune time" gets the award. You need not be a hatch participant to win this.
Prizes: Each post winner will receive a 6 mo GFM

8. ChestnutRidge's
dindon2.gif
Most Ingenious Chicken Design Contest
During whatever week it is assigned, post a picture and brief explanation of your cool brooder / feeder / waterer / saddle / whatever that you created for your fowl. Once the contest ends they'll be put on a BYC poll for the kind folk of BYC to vote for a winner.
Prize: A copy of Gail Damerow's Chicken Health Handbook, which he/she will surely appreciate being such a witty chicken-fancier.

9. ChooksChick
anim.gif
Flapper Contest
anim.gif

Post a picture of your fowl flapping in action!

10. Thebirdguy's Cutest Baby Picture Contest - Week Two Contest
Pictures can be of a baby of any breed or species but the picture must be taken by the entrant. Limit 3 entries per person.
Prize: 12 raffle tickets for the Rocky Mountain Chickenstock on May 5th where Greenfire Eggs and much much more can be won.
FMI: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nfire-eggs-brinsea-incubator-31-prizes-so-far

chicken.gif
chicken.gif
chicken.gif
chicken.gif
chicken.gif
chicken.gif
chicken.gif
chicken.gif
chicken.gif
chicken.gif

Last edited:
So, I think I would add some peanut meal (or just some peanuts) to our supplementals during breeding season to get some better hatches if only it didn't cost so much. I guess they were a little more available in Alabama in 1927 than in other parts of the country.
Yes, the peanut numbers were impressive compared to the others. The information also made me appreciate the lack of soybeans in my feed. However, the main ingredient in my feed is field peas, and fellow BYC member pointed me towards this article which said:
Happy Valentines Day, Hatchers
4uboxsmiley.gif

I wondered why Chestnut Ridge and others seemed to be on a cruise ship out mid-atlantic...
Yikes!!! This might explain where my mind was all day... Better go fish myself out.

ChooksChick, I went to your "MyHints" page where you have a lot of links to the articles you've written as well as other useful links in small boxes above. The article links worked fine, but the links above to your hatching eggs and feed recipe among others don't seem to be working. Are they working for anyone else? This is the error message I receive ---- actually, every post I've done with a picture has come up blank, so I'll try to post the error message separately.

*Sigh.* Okay, it says:

Quote: BTW, I am in the Rich Text editor. I've been pasting my pictures in and getting blank posts. Same thing for pics from my album. Anyone have a system that is working? A PM would be appreciated.

Last edited:
*Sigh.* Okay, it says:

BTW, I am in the Rich Text editor. I've been pasting my pictures in and getting blank posts. Same thing for pics from my album. Anyone have a system that is working? A PM would be appreciated.

I'm having the same problem just posted here about it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/629206/post-blank-but-edit-shows-content#post_8407371

Edited to add if I download the picture and then add it using the picture icon/url thing it works. But that's a roundabout fix.

Last edited:
Notice that the following contest is NOW OPEN:

5. CayuseRanch's Total Number of Eggs Set Contest
This contest is open to all participants to guess the total number of eggs that will be set by all participants in Mahonri's 3rd Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long! Each participant is to fill out the spreadsheet with their guess as to the total number of eggs that participants will be placing in their incubators for this hatch. All "guesses" must be submitted no later than Midnight EST, Sunday March 11th. Please submit your total number of eggs set to the spreadsheet by Midnight EST Tuesday, March 20th so we can tally up what was set and declare a winner. The person who comes closest to guessing the total number without going over will win a beautiful rooster egg basket.
Go here to submit your guess for the number of eggs set:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dE5FSUpmRmdCWXJZV1BlampFOUxCSkE6MQ#gid=0
Prize:

What do you think? Does anyone know if field peas will have a negative effect on health/hatchability?

It depends on the percentages in the feed and how long they eat it. If the percentages are ok, or the legumes have been processed to make them safe, then they are ok. Soybeans are legumes too, but they are processed to make them safe.

Her is a link to the percentages
http://www.canadianpoultry.ca/chapter_ii.htm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom