Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

what kind of birds are you looking for????????

Mostly more AMs, Wellies and FBCMs. I have great stock on most of my birds, but maybe some other color of Sumatra other than black. Even my quail didn't hatch well. So many of those came crushed I surprised I got any. Ordered 60, set 45 and got 11. Most were scrambled. It's just aweful that my eggs will hatch, but rarely any shipped eggs lately.

Trying to hatch shipped eggs is frustrating, especially if you pay a lot for the eggs
he.gif
Even if I get 1 or 2 to hatch out of a dozen I'm content though. I've hatched some really nice birds that I couldn't have got any other way. I do have a 2 Crystal Creek Lav Ameraucanas that better hatch me some babies this year though!

Trying to hatch shipped eggs is frustrating, especially if you pay a lot for the eggs
he.gif
Even if I get 1 or 2 to hatch out of a dozen I'm content though. I've hatched some really nice birds that I couldn't have got any other way. I do have a 2 Crystal Creek Lav Ameraucanas that better hatch me some babies this year though!

I'd be happy with just a couple to, but so far I haven't have but 2 hatch out of maybe 40 eggs and they died. My eggs and chicks did just fine, but this is all I got and didn't even have them live past a week.

I didn't check in this morning like I usually do and there were 60 some new posts. Whew.

Instead of checking BYC this morning I was setting up a brooder, transferring chicks to it and then deshelling the ones that were stuck pipped and glued in the bator. I think I have 21 new babies, but won't know for sure until later.

Tomorrow's Pie Day for my department... got home and cleaned, fed and watered the ducks and chickens, the indoor chickens, the new chicks and then threw together a crust. Now I've got to find the hubbard squash in the freezer. I'm pretty sure no one else will be bringing hubbard squash custard pie.

gig.gif

I also cracked open one of the non-pipped eggs. There was an approximate half sized fully formed and still alive chick in there, and a lot of water and some blood. The chick looked like it was behind in development because it was so small in the shell. It died right after I did this, and while I feel bad about it, it wouldn't have hatched anyway. Anyone ever seen this before? Know what causes it?

gig.gif

I also cracked open one of the non-pipped eggs. There was an approximate half sized fully formed and still alive chick in there, and a lot of water and some blood. The chick looked like it was behind in development because it was so small in the shell. It died right after I did this, and while I feel bad about it, it wouldn't have hatched anyway. Anyone ever seen this before? Know what causes it?

How ironic! I had one like that this hatch too, and yes I did the same thing. I felt horrible. It was one of my own eggs, I thought maybe I had gotten it mixed in with the wrong batch and it wasn't due to hatch yet. However, it was farther along than the next batch to hatch. I have no idea what causes it.

Back
Top Bottom