Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Here's a picture of my pedigree box I made to go in the incubator. I made it out of plastic needlepoint canvas and zip ties. It took about 30 minutes to make and cost less than $1.

I put a tie on the lid before placing it in the incubator, so the chicks couldn't climb out. All six eggs hatched.

In this case I used it to identify four campines so I would know the breeding and I put in the two lightest marans eggs I was hatching. Those two chicks are now banded with a zip tie. If they turn out to be roos, they won't make it into the flock. If they are girls I can judge the color of the egg they produce.

I had a second smaller box that held two marans eggs that were a specific pure line.

Deb

MrsMooncat and Kathyinmo,
lau.gif
Good job!

Kathy, I made corned beef, carrots, onions, cabbage, colcannon, and Irish Soda bread. For dessert, Baileys Irish Cream cupcakes with chocolate ganache and Bailey's buttercream frosting baked in little canning jars.

Awesome! I was wondering what would be an easy way to separate a few of mine come lockdown too. Great idea - did you submit it for the contest?

Here's a picture of my pedigree box I made to go in the incubator. I made it out of plastic needlepoint canvas and zip ties. It took about 30 minutes to make and cost less than $1.

I put a tie on the lid before placing it in the incubator, so the chicks couldn't climb out. All six eggs hatched.

In this case I used it to identify four campines so I would know the breeding and I put in the two lightest marans eggs I was hatching. Those two chicks are now banded with a zip tie. If they turn out to be roos, they won't make it into the flock. If they are girls I can judge the color of the egg they produce.

I had a second smaller box that held two marans eggs that were a specific pure line.

Deb

With gazillions of different eggs all in one bator, how do you tell who is who when they hatch
hu.gif
I am thinking I need to separate mine, and I think it was Java Girl who referred to hatching baskets a while back. Got pictures?

We've got three weeks to kill
pop.gif
so talk to me peeps, how do YOU do it?

yes it was me and I have not made the box yet. I hope to do so in the next week.

Deb

now this is cool!!!!!!!!

K...i just went outside in the rain of the night to move one of my broodies and her eggs. I hope she stays on them come morning.....I was going to move another broody also, but she has no eggs under her, so I don't have to worry about any eggs from other hens being mixed with hers, so I just decided to leave her in the nest box, I'l just move her later.

Kathy, I made corned beef, carrots, onions, cabbage, colcannon, and Irish Soda bread. For dessert, Baileys Irish Cream cupcakes with chocolate ganache and Bailey's buttercream frosting baked in little canning jars.

Oooooooooohhhhhh, that looks so goooooooood ! I had no dessert, but I am stuffed. Those cupcakes look great!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom