Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Went to bed with 5 pips, woke up to 5 hatched and more pipped. All look healthy and fairly happy.

side note, because I wanted a non aggressive roo I bought show quality orpington eggs last year. I've been happy with my pretty splash orp roo which hatched out of those eggs, but the other day the orp went after my 7 year old son and knocked him down, it must have been a lucky hit when he was off balance, but now my son is scared of him. That was the roos first act of aggresion, and I'm very bummed that what I was trying to prevent happened.
hit.gif
I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Love all the baby pictures!!

lol.png
I didn't mean home birthing is illegal. You can have your baby where ever you want. I meant being a midwife and delivering babies during home births is illegal (this was in 1990). I have heard of ways midwives get around the laws to attend home births. My DD had a home birth 4 years ago and the wording in the contract that the midwife had her sign shows me they are still having to scoot around laws that make it illegal for a midwife to deliver a baby at home. She specified she was there to attend the birth not to deliver the baby.

When I had my training we didn't have the special contracts that absolved you of responsibilty in the event there was a problem but I took my training in the 80s. Now folks are getting smarter about doing what they want and still getting trained help to assist. My grand mother was a midwife and "attended" many deliveries. Nobody tried to tell you how to give birth in those days.
smile.png

Pshew, you had me in a panic for a couple of minutes! I hate the word 'deliver' when used on babies. Everyone knows pizza is delivered, babies are most definitely not delivered, so, I don't see any need for scooting around any law. I can't remember the contract we had with our midwife, but she was much more tense about the legalities then the midwife I used in Utah, we thought it was because our California midwife trained under a midwife who did get prosecuted when the ambulance guys stupidity killed a baby and the state blamed the midwife. Thanks for clarifying!

I have another pip! woo-hoo! Its a green egg from CrazypetLady. Yay! I hope the others aren't too far behind. But it doesn't look like they're doing much besides being kicked around. I'm in love with my little blue polish. I don't know what the other 2 polish are because the eggs got shuffled and the shells are upside down. They are yellow with some silver so I hope they are my Silver Laced Polish. My EE's are soooo fat and fluffy. I love them all!

You guys are making me jealous. I'm at work and can't get out of here early, due to there being overtime in here today. I guess my staring at the eggs won't make them hatch. So hopefully I will have a chick when I get home.
Michele

OMG, fix the forum already!!!! I haven't been able to post since Thursday.
hit.gif

A 12-step program for forum addiction is one thing, a 1-step program (it doesn't work) is brutal. The work around (thanks - I think it was dsqard), but a pain for each post. It will certainly stop mindless chatting and make you only post when you truly have something to say....what's the fun in that?

Anyway, 10 chicks hatched (1 icelandic, 1 OE, 2 campine and 6 mutts), a bunch more pips, including the 2 iowa blues.

Hopefully this post will work
sad.png

Deb

It worked. Why can't you post, are sure its not your computer, I have been posting with my phone and it works fine. It stinks not being able to post.

I believe I have 31 in the brooder. I counted 31 still in the bator and did the math cause these little sprites won't sit still :D

Now I'm off to class, I won't be home for HOURS. Hopefully, I'll survive :p

Oh and my celebrity look-alike picture wasn't on the page of photos. I couldn't post to respond it was missing. I did send a PM to Renee (I think those are going through).

Grrrr, I wasn't quite ready to give up my addiction yet.......................

Deb

Congrats to everyone with varying degrees of chicks! For those who still don't have chicks, be patient.

24 to 48 hrs after they're supposed to hatch you can reach in, grab an egg and put it next to your ear. As you listen, tap with your fingernail on the shell. It should peep back if it's alive.

Sold about half my for sale pullets at the swap today, but it was too cold and windy to stay any longer, I thought I was going to freeze to death. I made out good money wise and then turned around and spent it all on supplies for a hoop house grow out pen for the boys.

21 chicks out here so far.

Oh and I got 2 silkie eggs at the swap to put in with the turkeys...

Back
Top Bottom