Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I've got five more out, three leghorn/BO crosses (two died in shell), one chantecler and one NN (YAY). The chantie and the NN are still in the bator. I have pips on an australorp, a chantecler and a mystery egg so maybe I'll have three more! I haven't even counted how many that is. :p
I'm thinking that now that I have three broodies on eggs, I'm probably going to sell off about half of these AFTER easter, more likely next weekend when TSC won't be selling them here anymore. :)

I thought I'd post a pic of my brooder that I use right after I take chicks out of the incubator.

It's a cage, wrapped on the bottom with a trash bag, wrapped in towels on the sides and it has a 100 watt light shining overhead. I use a ton of clothespins to keep everything attached.

The cage floor is covered with newspapers, lots of grit and has chick starter sprinkled around.

I put in a thermometer to make sure the chicks are warm enough and of course a waterer.

After brooding, the cage goes back to being a transport cage. It's easy, cheap and sets up quickly.

Last edited:
I'm back to to not so good news, after all my excitement yesterday. No new chicks this morning. The two I had pipping and zipping last night were still at it this morning. One working slowly to get out the other one had foam all around it and it was having trouble breathing, So against better judgment I pulled it to help a little. It is still in me membrane not doing anything. I will keep an eye one it. Congrates to all who are having great hatches.

celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
21 total so far , waiting for 10 more eggs.
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

I woke up to find the humidity at 58% so I put some Wat in through the bent holes and not is at 75%!!!!!!! I don't know how to lower it without taking the top off which I don't want to do because I have one that's zipping! Please help

I got nuttin' here......

X2. :( I have a pip, they were supposed to hatch yesterday, no peeping, yolk draining out of egg. I'm debating on helping this guy out or not................

Sorry guys, how frustrating. Don't give up yet... and don't give up on hatching for good. It may be easier to buy them at the feed store, but it's much more magical to do it yourself.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom