Mahonri's First Annual New Year's Day Hatch/Jan 2010

I candled. but honestly....it looks all disorganized! lol This is my first duck egg though, and boy is it huge! So maybe I'm not sure what I'm looking at.
hu.gif

Edited to add: for the sake of stats it is developing, just in a wider area then the smaller silkie eggs I've done up till now! lol

Last edited:
Well I candled last night and it looks like they are all developing, but I some large and weird shaped air cells. I decided to up the humidity a bit to 40% and see if that helps. Not sure what else to do. These were the shipped eggs I thought may have frozen, so if I get even a couple to hatch I will be happy. I may buy more next month and drive down to pick them up. 2 hours or so each way, but I think I may have better luck if I do that.

Candled this morning

17 out of 18 Welsummers are good
12 out of 14 Marans look good as far as I can see...too dark. out of the other two one looks as though it may have a blood ring but can't really determine that, nothing going on in the other that I can see.

I will not be candling again...from here I shoot from the hip, what happens happens. Sorry if this messes with your stats Mahonri.
I will post stats of the hatch for you though.
Good luck everyone and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we are over the hump folks. It's down hill from here.

I'm still doing the dry hatch method... keeping the humidity between 30% & 35%.

Brinsea is staying steady at 99.6 degrees.

I have three thermometers in the Hovabator.

One says 100, the next says 99.1 and the other says 99.0.

I hope it's warm enough in there.

So tossed all the clear shipped eggs and candled again so out of my own six i have three light brown eggs and three darker eggs and two of the dark were blood rings and the third is questionable so i left it in .But the other remaining three are perfect and moving around in there!!! at least from the looks of it i will get three out of my first hatch. the rooster is a barred rock and the hen is a aracauna so thats what they will be .......still excited !!!!

Quote:
You've got a great attitude. Were your shipped eggs for a 'test hatch" and perhaps unfertile or do you think they were just scrambled? I like to do 'eggtopsies' on my clears. If the yolk looks intact, it's probably a roo and hen problem. If the yolk is not intact you can blame the rough riders of the US Postal Service.

Last edited:
all,

I'm out. i think all mine either never started or dropped out.

Been Great and i'll watch your hatches.

I posted pictures of day 14 candling a short while ago, "OOOPS, Candling Continued on Day 14."

-r

Last edited:
Quote:
SORRY YOURS DIDN'T GO WELL.I AM NEW AT THIS BUT I CAN USUALLY SEE VEINING AT DAY 3-5 AND I COULDN'T SEE ANYTHING IN YOURS.IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THEY WERE FERTILE OR THEY GOT SCRAMBLED(IF SHIPPED).YOUR TEMPS AND HUMIDITY SOUNDED OK. I HOPE ALL GOES WELL WITH YOUR NEXT HATCHING ATTEMPT.

Quote:
If this question was directed toward me...

I got 14 from Pips & Peeps (9 of which are still in the bators) and then I have a quite a few of my own w/Bw in the bators.

Back
Top Bottom