Mahonri's First Annual New Year's Day Hatch/Jan 2010

I had a couple of bearded buff laced polish that looked just like that. I got rid of my polish roo to quickly.

Oh well. Perhaps next time.

OK...here are my stats so far...not sure if any one is still keeping track of this...
smile.png

Set 21 silkie eggs...all shipped
Candled today (I know, I just hadn't had time)
1 w/ blood ring
8 clear (checked and they were scrambled via USPS prolly)
1 quitter...day 7 or so maybe

Ergo, I'm down to 11 eggs in the bator...of those, 4 are kinda questionable but seem to have "something" going on...the rest are movin' and look good.

I was looking through the Christmas hatches, and I can't wait for us to start hatching! Best of luck to all of us!

Merry Christmas! I agree that hatching eggs from your own birds is very exciting! Most of the time I hatch shipped eggs, and it is always nerve-wracking. Maybe I am just blessed with very fertile & strong birds, but for whatever reason, my birds eggs always hatch at incredible rates (Usually 90-100%) so I never worry. So, I really enjoy hatching my birds eggs for that reason. I also enjoy hatching mailed eggs, but more like a nervous gambler with a potentially winning bingo card. I have some d'uccle eggs from my own birds, and so far 100% embryos. I can't tell whats going on with the Empordanesa for the New Years hatch...The eggs are really dark brown, hard to candle. I am nervous!!!!! lol

Well by this time next week I hope we have a huge number of chicks hatched.

You are right, the shipped eggs are always a gamble.

I have Gretchen from Chino Valley coming down today to pick up 18 Ameraucana/ EE eggs.

It will be fun to see what she gets.

i cant help it, this is question I've been wanting to ask, What does everyone do with all the chicks they hatch? I see hear where some hatch over 20, do you keep they all or do you eat them? I've done 3 hatches so far 1 with 5 eggs (got4) 1 with 6 eggs (got one)and the last one 18 eggs got 2 one of which has to be culled. I'm afraid to do to many because I dont know what to do with them.

I raise mine up to a certain point to see if they are what I think I want in my breeding flocks. I hardly ever sell a chick that is less than 6 weeks old and most are sold close to point of lay or point of crow which ever the case may be.
wink.png
By doing this I can have a pretty clear idea of who has the traits that I may be looking for .
On the other hand, I will hatch out my eggs for someone that has purchased them from me but are afraid to hatch, or do not have the equipment.
Sometimes I can have more babies running around than I know what to do with, but for the reasons mentioned above. This year ...I can't remember off top of my head exactly how many Welsummers I hatched out I think it was appox. 40-60 birds, out of those birds, I kept only 4 pullets for my breeding stock and 2 cockerals. The rest where culls or rehomed or thrown in the laying flock for fresh layers.

LOL! I have 26 babies in the brooder and approx. 30 eggs due to hatch on the 1st and 20 more eggs in waiting.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I do the same thing as pink chick.... Also, I live in the county in San Diego, and I have a couple of acres, so I can keep a lot of chickens. You got to hatch a lot to get enough girls for replacement layers, too. But, I usually sell my cockerels in pairs with females and find them good homes.

Mahonri~
At the last minute after I posted how many Marans eggs I set.....I changed my mind and removed 6 of them...the color just bugged me, so I decided not to hatch them. Forgot to change posting. Sorry!
LOL!

Quote:
Make certain to give us some final stats with how many were set, how many were shipped, how many were your own, and how many of each hatched.

Back
Top Bottom