Mahonri's First Annual New Year's Day Hatch/Jan 2010

I believe she will keep them warm. I think you are safe to wait until they are all hatched, before taking them. They don't usually eat the first couple days, as they have nutrition from the yolk they absorbed. I have no experience with chicks hatched from a broody, but my new hatches usually sleep most of the first 24 - 48 hours. It's kinda like I can tell when the yolk nutrition is gone .... then they scurry about, eating, drinking, and pooping!

Good luck!
smile.png

SHIPPED EGGS

18 Black Copper Marans from Melissa (pasofinofarm) shipped from TX to AZ,

16 OK after 1st candling.. the 2 non developers looked identical, so we were thinking the roo didn't like that pullet!

14 OK after 2nd candle... had 2 quitters and one of those had a tiny crack in it from the get go...we hoped it would make it.

14 BW/W Ameraucanas from Jean (Pips and Peeps) shipped from Eastern WA to AZ,

9 OK after candling... of the 5 non-developers... two had blood rings and the other three were probably scrambled.

8 OK after 2nd candle had 1 quitter
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Total results after candle and lockdown.

Of the 67 original eggs set, 54 in the two bators at first candle, 47 at lockdown.

Of the 67 original eggs, 32 were shipped and 35 were my own.

At first candle, of the 13 clear or non-developed, 7 were shipped eggs, 6 were my own.

At first candle, of the 54 remaining, 25 are from shipped eggs, 29 are my own.

At lockdown, of the 47 remaining, 22 are from shipped eggs, 25 are my own... had 4 quitters out of my own eggs.

So of the 32 shipped eggs I have 22 remaining... had 7 that didn't develop and 3 quitters

Of the 35 eggs from my coops and pens I have 25 remaining... so I had 6 non developers and 4 quitters.

Interesting how similar the results are.

To me, my air cells looked too big. (First time doing a basically dry hatch) Next time, because of this dry climate I will keep the humidity from day 1-18 at about 33-35% instead of 30%.

Even with all of the air space, we could see good movement in most. I'm guessing I'll get about 20 chicks out of this hatch even though I was hoping for close to 30.

At present, I have it at just over 68% right now and will keep it above 62% through the hatch.

Thermometers read 99.0, 100 and 99.4 so I pray I'm warm enough in the hovabator. The Brinsea stays pretty steady at 99.6. I'm imagining that my chicks in the Brinsea will hatch first.

Any suggestions for me?

Last edited:
Mahonri, I bet you have closer to 30. I let the bator run dry quite often and the chicks still hatched out great. The lockdown humidity is perfect. Good luck and happy hatching.

We are here for you!

I put mine in lockdown when I got home from work. I was about 9 hours late, but wanted to make sure my still air got up to 102. My humidity is at 70% which is a little high so I have the plug out. I candled before I put them in lockdown and out of the 15 shipped to me 10 had good movement and 1 looked like a quitter but since I am still new I put it in lockdown anyway. Last hatch I had 1 that was questionable to me and it hatched, so I would rather be safe than sorry. Good luck to everyone!

Mahonri, you and the warden are making me seriously consider getting the Brinsea. My birthday is coming up soon and that just may be my present to myself.

I put 12 eggs in hatcher this after noon. One silver and the rest buffs.

I have been praying the buffs all hatch and make it. I have had very poor laying rates and hatch rates from my buffs this year. Most of the buff eggs are of good color too.

so how do i set the eggs in the bator for lock down ?On there side on the screen ?Or i hear people saying in an egg carton and if I do put them in a carton do set them in sideways????

Quote:
Mahonri, no kidding my humidity levels were between 13-18% more times than I was comfortable with. I would get it up to 40 before bed and whala-- in the morning 13! So I would up it to 40-50 and let it dry down which it always does before bed. Every one of the Light Sussex hatched out!

Hi Lop333 You can put them in anyway you prefer, but I am leaning toward the cartons. If you use cartons put them in with the pointy side down.

I actually bought the egg storage tray (turner tray?) from cutlers supply. They are plastic and yellow and I think are supposed to be used for storing eggs.
I cut mine into sections (with much difficulty!) 12/6/6 They have slots in them and that makes for good ventilation without my worrying about the paper cartons absorbing too much humidity during lockdown.
I worried that their little legs would get stuck but I have used them 3 times now and even though one does occasionally get its legs through the slot they always get out.
Then I can just pop them in the dishwasher to clean and sterilize. I also pour boiling water over them each time too just in case any nasty bacteria from our well water is on there.

Well,,final tally is,,,all eggs were shipped,out of 18 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes,,9 are good coming out of NY State
out of 12 French Black copper eggs,,7 are dark- came from Georgia
out of 36 Cuckoo Marans eggs,,34 are still dark-came from Georgia
An even 50% fertile on the Blue Wyandottes,,58% of the French Black coppers are fertile,,and 94% of the Cuckoos are fertile.If anyone remembers 2 of the French Black copper eggs were cracked upon arrival,,so I waxed them,,and tonight they both are dark inside,,so I don't know if this should figure into the results because they were not 100% when they went in,,,but the Brinsea will breath life into a corpse,,,I swear this bator will hatch a fossil. So,the bottom tray is full of 41 eggs,,and the Blue Wyandottes will get taken off the "rock &roll" mode tomorrow nite since they were put in a day later.Humidity will now go up to 65%,,,LET THE PIPPING BEGIN!!

Back
Top Bottom