Mahonri's First Annual New Year's Day Hatch/Jan 2010

Wow Laree, that Patchwork is GORGEOUS!

Finally, I have the Brinsea working PERFECT... took me long enough. Temp 99.6, humidity perfectly steady at 65%.

The humidity in the 1588 seems to have stabilized, one says it's 70, the other says it's 62 so I'm just gonna keep it there and pray for the best.

If I have less than 20, I'll be real disappointed, but whatever.

I went back through my eggs and noticed I still have two of my own GC Marans in the bator. I hope I get both of them to hatch

Quote:
My last few hatches have all had that "U" shape. I started tracing the aircell with a pencil at day 1 , 10, 18 to see if it made any difference in hatchability or WHERE the chick hatched. It didn't seem to make a difference, so don't give up hope!

I think I've been getting the "U" because it is so dry here. I am lucky to keep my humidity at 35% this time of year.

Quote:
My last few hatches have all had that "U" shape. I started tracing the aircell with a pencil at day 1 , 10, 18 to see if it made any difference in hatchability or WHERE the chick hatched. It didn't seem to make a difference, so don't give up hope!

I think I've been getting the "U" because it is so dry here. I am lucky to keep my humidity at 35% this time of year.

I had super HUGE aircells on all of my eggs at lockdown. First time I've tried a dry hatch and that's keeping it at 35%.

I think here in the desert, we need to up the humidity a little more.... well ask me on Sunday and then I'll know for sure.

I'm hoping 65% is perfect for lockdown. I've heard of folks who let it run up to 85% and then let is slowly go down till the pips start...

Last time as soon as chicks started hatching, my humidity skyrocketed into the 80s and I wonder if that caused some of them to drown?

Last edited:
Quote:

I had super HUGE aircells on all of my eggs at lockdown. First time I've tried a dry hatch and that's keeping it at 35%.

I think here in the desert, we need to up the humidity a little more.... well ask me on Sunday and then I'll know for sure.

I'm hoping 65% is perfect for lockdown. I've heard of folks who let it run up to 85% and then let is slowly go down till the pips start...

Last time as soon as chicks started hatching, my humidity skyrocketed into the 80s and I wonder if that caused some of them to drown?

I had really big air cells too this time. Made me a little nervous. Still at about 58 percent humidity, I keep second guessing if I should add more...uggg. This IS indeed stressful.

Quote:
The first hatch I did (August), I kept a constant 55% and then up to 70%. I had 4 of 6 hatch.

The second batch I did, it was that one rain storm we had this monsoon. Humidity spiked to 85% for the last 7 days. I had one egg explode, and others had standing water in them. Hatched 1 of 6. "Sweetcheeks"

The third hatch was 6 of12 CMs, at 55% then lockdown at 75%. No spikes or humidity issues.

The fourth was a dry hatch the beginning of this month. Humidity was around 35%, but I had temp spikes when it rained and the humidity suddlenly changed. When it dried up, the temps would drop. 4 of 6 blue silkies and 5 of 12 australorps hatched.

This current hatch was not an attempted "dry" hatch, but despite my best efforts, it has been around 35%. At lockdown I managed to get it up to 55%. The chick that came out didn't seem to have any sticky issues.

One of these days we'll have to have a Phoenix area get together.... put faces with all of the names.

Good night y'all... I hope by this time tomorrow, I have pics.

Do you suppose on the evening of a BLUE MOON it will bring forth more BLUE WHEATEN Ameraucanas???

OK, I am messed up.

Last edited:
At 7 A.M. today my humidity is now 65%; that was a big drop for overnight from 73%. This is really strange using only the larger well for lockdown because I've tested both of my Genesis 1588 for humidity on empty lockdowns with both wells filled, and they both always worked perfectly while empty. My Dec. 10 hatch went perfectly, 18 days of about 55% with the one-cup well filled, and three days of about 65% with both the one- and one-and-one-half-cup wells filled. Whatever, I'm in great shape now so I'll put a note on this incubator and just hope that none drowned during that half a day of of over 80% with both wells filled.
Yikes, it just occurred to me that tomorrow's the big day.

I have one out and 2 pips. What's funny is the one that pipped last night and started zipping is not the one that hatched. It was one that didn't even have a pip last night. That's ok, because I really didn't think I would get any. Mahonri, I have also had large and some weird shaped air cells. Some of mine are U shaped and some are skinny at the top of the fat end of the egg and then have bubbles out to the sides. I did let my humidity drop way down this time so I wonder if that is what caused it. I will have to monitor them on my next incubation. Now I have to find something else to hatch...
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom