Mahonri's First Annual New Year's Day Hatch/Jan 2010

I was hoping for a January 1st hatch but it did not happen,I set 7 eggs in a home made incubator,so it was the first test run with it.I bought the eggs local and went and picked them up about a hour away,they were Buckeye eggs and I got them from (bigredfeather).Here is a pic of the home made incubator.

45815_incubator.jpg

6 of the 7 eggs did hatch on the 2nd,I was very happy with that the incubator worked very smooth.The one egg that did not hatch was half developed it stop developing after the first candle,I think that is about 86% hatch,I'm very happy with that.

45815_buckeye1.jpg

That is a great incubator. How talented you are! My brain gets muddled just thinking of trying to make something like that. Congrats on the chicks they are adorable and they look like mine!

I believe this will be the final count even though one Wellie egg little "I-pip" "I pipped the wrong way" is still peeping I don't hold out much hope. No progress since pip.

8 Wellies out of 17...
sad.png
4 boys and 4 girls
10 Marans out of 12.....
smile.png
2 Blue, 1 Splash (the whitest splash I've ever hatched out) 1 seems to be very dark blue (jury is still out) and the rest are black.
11170_imgp5445.jpg

11170_imgp5455.jpg

11170_imgp5458.jpg

11170_imgp5462.jpg

11170_imgp5463.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, rrhall! Bigredfeather is a neighbor of mine; we went to school together. He has really nice Buckeyes, and he takes good care of his flock. Congratulations on your babies!

ETA: that is one rockin' incubator! I need to make one like that -- my eggs get old waiting for space in my little incubator!

Last edited:
Okay....so I went in after little "I-pip" and she (she...figuratively speaking) is out and alive though I don't know how or why. Appears there was some bleeding in there, the blood was dried and dark, and you all know that was just like glue for the membrane, which had shrink wrapped around her. Between that and the dried blood....what a mess. I removed as much shell as I could and wrapped her in a moist warm wash cloth and stuck her back in the incubator, to soften all the dried stuff. When I took her back out I was able to gently wipe it away. The remaining shell just fell right off. There was also a small amount of feces in the shell. She is resting....but I still don't retain much hope.

Quote:
Pink chick, let her rest and turn her over on the other side every hour for about 4 hours. Then get the tap water nice and comfortably warm and give her a bath under the running water to get all the junk off her. Careful of getting too much water in her mouth.
Dry her off a bit and put her back in the incubator.
Go in every few hours and turn her and give her a drink of water. I bet by tomorrow she is up and running around.

Good luck

Thanks Rusty! I have turned her once and she is pretty clean I don't think that there will be a need for another wipe down. She has let out a few really big chirps and I have heard her try to move....(she's the only one in there) time will tell.
smile.png

So far I have 7 marans out and one silkie!
ya.gif
One little marans died this morning.
hit.gif

Two more eggs piped but he chicks are climbing over the remaining eggs - im worried......

OMG Everybody! Remember that I was hatching some Empordanesa eggs on Dec 31/Jan 1st? Well by am Jan 1, I had 3 hatch. Because my temps had been low the first few days until I figured out how to get it up without roasting them, (Little Giant) I decided to keep the bator running for a while longer. I was going to toss the eggs today (sunday), but when I was about to chuck them in a bag & toss them one of the eggs rolled over. I thought I was seeing things! Well, tonight I hear crackling and peeping. I will let you know if any hatch.

Back
Top Bottom