Mail a chick

Toshi

Songster
8 Years
Jul 2, 2011
IN corn state
I am soo excited that i am getting more chicks. I have ordered from MyPetChicken, four are coming soon. They are set to hatch the first of August then i should get them within that week.

However i do have two questions about it, this is my first time getting through the mail. Here come the questions.

1. Once i get them home do i give them feed and water right away? Or is it like store bought chicks where you let them have water for an hour before the feed comes?
2. Do i put suger in the water like one dose for the store bought ones?

Any help would be grate
smile.png

I would give them water with sugar right away, then some food right after. They probably won't have any with them for their journey to your house. What type of chicks did you order ?

My Pet Chicken has a very nice e-booklet about how to care for your chicks when you first bring them home from the post office. I believe I followed their directions to the letter and that had me offering them food and water right away, dipping the beak of one chick into the water to show it and the others where the water was (marbles in the bottom of the waterer to keep them from falling in and drowning). I never added sugar to the water.

I highly recommend having a discussion with your local post-master about your chicks, letting them know you are expecting them and on what date you expect them to arrive. I gave our post-master my home #, my cell # and my mom's home number (first clearing it with my mom) in case they came on Wednesday, when I had to leave the house early rather than Tuesday when I would be home. They did come on Wednesday. The post-master called at 7:32, having unlocked the door at 7:30 and my mom was down there in her house-coat at 7:45 and back settling the chicks into their brooder by 7:50. So much better than them having to wait for me to be able to pick them up.

Good luck.

I am getting 2 Red Stars, one BR, and a Partrige Rock, ok thanks, i live like 15 minuets tops from the post office, and my mom and i are going on monday to have a talk with the postmater so that they know what is coming and stuff.

As for the watter i have a little chick water not soemthing they can get in, but that is a good idea. Thanks for the good instructions you guys, i will be sure to do that, i am going to be watching them like a hawk the whole day frist day i have them.

Back
Top Bottom