Mail Order Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PTFarmer, Apr 23, 2008.

1. PTFarmer

PTFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Disputanta, Va.
    This is my first time dealing with eggs thru the mail. Is there anything special that needs to be done before putting them in the bator ?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Resting them at room temp for 6-24 hours is what I've heard. Not tipped or turning either-just pointy end down in their cartons to settle the air sac I think.
    Good Luck
    Lisa

3. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I let mine rest a bit too. I also candle them looking for hairline cracks and broken air cells. I only discard the obvious problems. Then after incubating 5 days I'll check again and see if anything is growing.

I have to admit I find shipped eggs expensive but it does give you the opportunity to get things you can't find locally.

4. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    I agree. I would never get the kind of birds I want looking locally. so I love the Idea of shipping eggs. letting eggs settle is a good. it is usually to let it come to room tempreture (if they are colder than room temp) before putting them in the bator. The reason is cold eggs will get condensation on them and that is not good for the eggs. I let them sit for about 2-3 ours but if the temp ouside is about the same as my room temp during delivery, I try to get them into the preset bator as soon as possible. The longer the wait, the lower the hatch rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by