mail order or feed store???

Our feed store doesn't have chicks days and they only order sexed pullets- which are pretty expensive. I've ordered chicks through the mail twice (McMurray and Ideal) and have had a pretty good overall experience with it. The babies do get stressed on their way through our USPS so they require a little extra attention. The best way for me to get chicks was through my local Craigslist. I've met some very nice people with great birds. Alot of times they'll be chicken swaps advertised there as well. I feel alot better about buying chicks I can see first, not that my mail ordered chicks aren't wonderful. Good luck with your chickies when you get them!

I say look at your options. We have some local people who have chicks (some you want to stay away from) but we have a hatchery close by, and our feed store buys from that hatchery. So, in our case we never go out of state and keep it at least somewhat local.

if you order from some online place you ushaly have to get like 15-25 if you dont want to pay for the exra shipping. our first batch of chickens we had most of them died at a young age (nothing got them) the ones i got from the local feed store I started with 14 and still have 9 healthy chickens (5 years old). the ones that did die died from outside causes (cold, pests, being put in with birds a couple weeks older then them, ect.) so I think the local ones are better, they have less stress and you get to pick them out yourself, but you have less choice if you order from them.

I agree with ilia, the chicks at the feed stores were shipped from a hatchery. And what you get is hatchery stock. The big advantage is being able to buy just as many as you want of whatever sex you want. I have ordered from a hatchery (sandhill) and found their chicks to grow into healthy, hardy stock with very few lost. I also buy hatching eggs from all over to find the breeds and quality of birds I am looking for. And I love to trade eggs and birds with other BYCers. Craigs list? Just be careful that you isolate the birds for a few weeks.

Thanks, everyone!

I actually have 2 local feed stores that are really nice, family businesses. I think I'll buy my chickies from one, and my stuff (feeders, waterers, feed, etc.) from the other, as both have been very good to us, but the first has more chicken knowledge and an awesome selection. (and will be happy to add a chickie or 2 to their regular order for me.)

Chick Day will be March 31st!! Guess we better get on with building our coop!

--Nikki

Back
Top Bottom