Maine in Dec w/8wk old chicks?

humphrey farms

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
Naples Maine
I have 15 wyandottes coming Oct 29th. They will be raised in my unheated mudroom under heat lamp until 8wks. I have already moved the chicken A frame w/attached run into a uninsulated shed. I plan to put them outside in this building in the A frame. I am using deep litter method and 6/ 6 mos old Wyandottes will be using the shed too. The shed has windows that can open ect and is located in the sun all day. QUESTION? Will my baby chicks need a heat lamp on them? The night time temps will most likely be down
idunno.gif
in the low teens. Then anywhere below zero at night come Jan/Feb.. Thanks.
idunno.gif

I take heat lamp off them once feathered, which is usually around 5-6 weeks. By 10 weeks old they can handle the Jan/Feb temps just fine if they are dry. We live not far from you in NB (Canada), and I've raised 10 week olds in February outside with no added heat.

I take heat lamp off them once feathered, which is usually around 5-6 weeks. By 10 weeks old they can handle the Jan/Feb temps just fine if they are dry. We live not far from you in NB (Canada), and I've raised 10 week olds in February outside with no added heat.
Thank you Thank you. I was getting worried about the cold and them being babies.
clap.gif

mine are in the bator now hoping to hatch around the 24-25th. I will keep them inside till they are feathered out, then they will be in my unheated barn till spring. Maybe sooner with the information I'm getting here. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom