Maine

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenboy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I love that idea! Talk to BF about pricing. If it's fair and reasonable, you could make a killing! I might even be a customer LoL

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Yes, all my roos except 1 are going to freezer camp. Much more delicious and satisfying than trying to find a good home for them, where they'll probably be eaten anyway. I haven't really found a roo that I adore yet, although my NN was close. He was very sweet until this spring then he acted like a hormonally crazed idiot, and was chasing my girls around until he finally got them. Due to that, he ended up ripping most of their feathers off and a lot of them had to have saddles (it didn't help that I had 7 other hormonally crazed idiot roosters running around too). I don't think women should be treated that way, so that sealed his fate. He's currently in the freezer awaiting a good coq au vin recipe (since he was so old).

Not to get too far off topic, but what an ODD winter, huh? I know I shouldn't be dreaming of gardening and seeds, but the fact that I can actually see my yard is starting to affect my sanity. This reminds me of my mid-atlantic winters that I'm used to. Thoughts from native Mainers? Are we going to pay for this into May with snow?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    It does seem more like April, doesn't it ?

4. Gordonhillfarm

Gordonhillfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Maine
    @ --- superchemicalgirl --- why not make one or two brooders for this spring . I know in previous swaps I've herd people talk about makeing and selling them . When I took a turn at the farmington fair watching the poultry barn , we had a brooder set up and almost everyone that stopped to watch the chicks - wanted to know where they could buy one or get plans for one . and there's another idea print up plans and sell the plans for a couple of dollars -- you can also take orders for them . put flyers up now and take spring orders - when i take orders for crafts and such i always ask for 50% non refundable deposit incase they cancel - i've at least made my supplys money back . ~~~ Just my thoughts ~~ Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas -- And a brite start to their New Year ~~~ Tammy

5. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:I like the idea for plans! I'll talk to my boyfriend and see if we can't come up with a good "how to" to sell. Any idea where to put up fliers? The farm store where I buy my feed sells mini brooders and coops, I doubt they'd want the competition!

6. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Uncle Henry's online might be a good place to sell the plans, and it's free.

7. Egiroux

Egiroux Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Durham, ME
    When you have chicks that are roosters and you want to eat them vs. keep them around how long/how old do you let them grow until you process them? I'm new to all this and trying to figure out what I want to get for chicks this spring. Depending on how long the roosters have to grow out before being processed may determine what/how many I order.

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Usually they need to be a minimum of 16 to 20 weeks. Less than that and there won't be much meat. It also depends on the breed of bird - some grow faster or slower than others. I usually wait "as long as I can" to do them so they're a decent size - about 6 months. They're crowing and mating at that point. Waiting "as long as I can" usually means the point where the extra roosters are driving me, the hens and my neighbors nuts.

Consequently, if you wait too long the birds will be tougher and they'll be better in stews than fried or baked or roasted.

Have you ever processed birds or were you going to take them somewhere?

9. kinsey228

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    It really depends on the breeds. Cornish crosses, usually 8-11 weeks old. Most others, I waited until about 4-6 months. It depends on how big you want them. [​IMG]

10. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    looks like winter temps are on the way but heck i like not haveing snow in the yard yet cause i still have stuff to pick up and move around before the snow gets deep and the chickens dont mind the cold but wouldnt even look out the coop door when it did snow and it was on the ground

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by