Maine

I am SO upset! went out at 4:45 am to let my chickens out and found that my 2, 8 week old ducklings were missing.  3 or 4 blood spots were found once the sun came up but no holes in the fence, no pile of feathers, nothing.  Not sure what got them but they are gone!

suspecting a weasel or mink but dont know how they got the ducks out with no feathers.

So sorry for your loss! I hope you can figure out what is was and how to prevent it from coming back.

I am SO upset! went out at 4:45 am to let my chickens out and found that my 2, 8 week old ducklings were missing.  3 or 4 blood spots were found once the sun came up but no holes in the fence, no pile of feathers, nothing.  Not sure what got them but they are gone!

suspecting a weasel or mink but dont know how they got the ducks out with no feathers.

So sorry for your loss! I hope you can figure out what is was and how to prevent it from coming back.

So sorry :( I worried constantly about my ducklings, they are up all night wandering around. I have been keeping the window open at night thinking I will hear them if something goes after them. My two year old Pekins are night owls too, I think they are one of the reasons we haven't had much trouble with predators, nothing can get within 100yds of my yard without them having something to say about it!
I worry too though that the little ones peeping may attract predators that would otherwise pass by.

I am going to set up a game camera to see if anything is around, to see if my fears are warranted. Good luck finding out what happened and keeping it at bay.

It seems like alot of people are having predator problems this year. Maybe all the new chicken keepers are providing the predators with plenty to eat and we are having an upswing in predator populations? Maybe they are already up from feasting on the deer herds over the past few years and now need to look elsewhere?
My mom has electric poultry netting and she has sign everywhere of coyotes and foxes all around her yard. They have killed rabbits and other game within sight of her house, and even brought down a deer a few hundred yards out. She has even heard them when she has gone out to close up her coops at night. But thanks to that fence she hasnt lost a single bird.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the kind words about Samantha. I've started her on Prednisone to see if we can get the swelling down so she is more comfortable. I also took some lamb out of the freezer and picked up some stew meat at the butchers so I can make some stew for her today. She can't chew well so the softer the food the better. She wants to eat, poor girl, but it hurts to chew. I'll see how she does during the week and if nothing changes she will be crossing the Rainbow Bridge next weekend. If the medication helps I'll let her decide when she is ready. Odd how they are able to let us know when they can't go on.

Went out for a trail ride today with a friend. Both Gosi and Stefnir were great. Rigel, the Mustang, was not happy that she was left behind and whinnyed until we were out of sight. While out on the trail Stefnir whinny a couple times which is very odd for him. Then on the way back home when most horses want to pick up the pace he stopped and would not move. No idea why. I did not hear anything moving through the woods. Yet he was adamant that there was something out there. So my friend and I got off and walked both horses for a bit. We got back on and both horses went with no issues. Saw no prints other than the hoof prints from when we came down the trail earlier. Still there could have been a deer or moose or even a bear around.

The other incident on the trail made me really love the boys even more. At the end of the trail is a sand pit. Lots of fun to go up and down. Plenty of open space. It is well known to everyone and quite often there are dirt bikes and ATV's there. We got to the edge of the pit and started down. Today there were no bikes or people visible. Stefnir whinnyed loudly and my friend and I were talking so it wasn't like we were sneaking up on anyone. All of a sudden a shot rang out. Some idiot was target shooting in the pit.
somad.gif
Both horses jumped but didn't bolt.
smile.png
I couldn't see where the person was shooting from but I didn't wasted time looking since another shot rang out. Again the horses were nervous and jumpy but neither ran. They went up the hill a bit faster than they went down but I didn't blame them since I was ready to go up the hill faster too. Now I have no issues with guns. Heck I own some of my own. But really? Shooting in a sand pit where you know there are several well used trails that enter into it? And on a weekend to boot?

Here are a couple pictures of my two newest additions. A pair of Sebastapol geese about 1.5 years old. Already settling in nicely. Got them from a local lady who was downsizing her flock of birds.

Thanks everyone ....I feel just awful about the ducklings this morning but I did go to the Wilton TSC swap today and bought 2 of this years early spring ducklings. They are HUGE!!! and appear to be making themselves right at home. We will be making some "modifications" to their accommodations and setting some traps to see if we can catch the varmints that did the deed!

I think all the predators are trying to feed their kids. And our birds are easy prey. Why waste energy going after mice and other small critters when we provide big, fat and relatively easy to catch birds. Key is to find a way to make our birds harder to catch. Of course that is easier said then done. Just when you outsmart one predator another one comes along and finds a way to a free lunch.

I came home with five call ducklings today.
smile.png
Longhorn called me and said they finally had some ready to go. I had asked a few weeks ago when I was picking up the turkeys if they ever had calls and was told they breed their own. Took a few weeks and I really thought they had forgotten but the call came. So now I have five calls and eight Saxonies in the brooder having a jolly time making a mess. Talk about chicken (aka poultry math). In 24 hours my flock has increased by 15 (13 ducks and 2 geese). That just leaves some Midget Whites on the wish list and I should be good.

I finally planted the melon, squash, and corn today! There are a few odds and ends to finish up, but things are basically in.

I got really mad at some of my cockerels today. I have 6 large, 12 week olds, and a bunch (maybe 10?) smaller 8 week old cockerels. I've been slowly integrating them. I put 3 of the older, larger cockerels in a small enclosure in the jail, so they could get to know the younger ones. Thursday, they got integrated in, and it went very smoothly.

Three more of the older cockerels took their place in the small enclosure. They are pretty large for 12 weeks. Anyway, one of them busted out today, but he didn't cause any trouble. The other two eventually made their way out as well and all were out ranging around in a fenced in area. Then I heard screaming, and saw one of the large cockerels grabbing a smaller Basque by the neck. The Basque was trying to get away, but the bully would not let up. I went into the pen and the bully grabbed the Basque and started dragging him, right there in front of me. I shoved the bully into the brooder that is built into the jail and slammed the door. Now there are two bullies in there, and I think I'll leave them in there for a couple of weeks before I try again. They can't fully stand up in there, but they'll have to deal with it. The bullies are only bound for the freezer, but I hope to choose one of the Basques for my flock.

Back
Top Bottom