Maine

Where are you located. I am getting 2 birds that are supposedly ameraucanas (though I suspect their EEs). He has 4. They are free because they are older birds but still laying. He's making room for new chicks. If you are in my area I'd be happy to grab all 4 and you can have two of them.
I'm in poland

Looking for some chicks...anyone know of who might have some available? ??
If you are on FB, check out the Bangor Chicken Swap page or the Maine Poultry Connection page. Even though it says "Bangor," there are a lot of people who know people and you could probably get connections there. I've found a few there. Good luck!
smile.png

Good morning everyone! Just wanted to take a minute to thank you all for your GREAT advise as always! The girls, as unhappy as they are, and Cogburn (the rooster...could not help myself) are locked away in the run. A few of the leghorns have managed to still master flight after being clipped but they return and use the nest boxes. This morning as I went about my chicken chores, I could hear one of the girls in the coop raising a ruckus. I finished feeding the meaties, and headed up just to peek in and see who it was. It was one of our BSL's and she was MAD at me for looking. I said I was sorry and closed the door. The others are still kind of mad...I tell them just a few more days and we will be back to normal.

I did move the plywood, and raked over the spot they were hiding them...17 eggs...I wish I had seen it sooner, I feel very wasteful not knowing how old they were and what else may have been in there. It is a shame for sure.

The good news for the girls is I am out of work with a back injury for a few days, so I get to stay home and play chicken dad with the kids...maybe I can teach the kids how to do chicken chores...hmmmm, this may not be so bad!

I read a few sad losses while catching up, I can only say that I am sorry for you and hope that with the loss comes some relief knowing that your dear friends are in a better place. I thank my buddy every day for being a good protector of my family while I am away. I try to prepare myself for that day, hopefully many years down the road, but having been there a few times already, I know it is painful and difficult.

As far as the pine shavings, I try to get mine at Blue Seal, TSC is ok, but the bags seem to have small chips that turn to dust way too soon. The blue seal stuff is packed tighter, in paper, and I want to say there is more...the chips are larger and do not tend to break down as fast...and I like feeling like I am getting a local product. I have heard folks say that they get stuff from local saw mills by the truckload. May be worth a look!

Thank you all again for your very sound advise! Have a great day and be safe!

Bob

If you shop at Aubuchon it's about 6 bucks for 3.25 ft3, but you do get a discount for shopping there, with a card. I get about 5$ back every month or so. They are very friendly there, very helpful and sell a lot of livestock items for a hardware store.

Widget, how are your bees doing this year? There's lots of reports of starving hives from KLCB, my hive included.

Mine seem to be doing fine. A friend has already harvested honey from one of her hives and will probably be able to get another harvest from that one as well as one harvest from a second one.

Just scoped out an ad on Craigslist and someone has some Muscovy ducks. Anyone have experience with these? I'm wondering if they'll hold up in the climate around here, and if they'd be ok to hang around chickens all day? Any suggestions welcomed!

I got my final two girls of the season today. They really are araucana, though not sop since they don't have full tufts. The poor babes were definitely bottom of the pecking order as indicated by their missing feathers, but when they grow back out, they'll be beautiful. Now for the beautiful blue eggs...

Just scoped out an ad on Craigslist and someone has some Muscovy ducks. Anyone have experience with these? I'm wondering if they'll hold up in the climate around here, and if they'd be ok to hang around chickens all day? Any suggestions welcomed!

Love Muscovies. Dont have any right now but would love some more. They do fine in our climate and other than being messier than chickens especially when it comes to water they usually get along fine. At least my ducks and chickens do.

Back
Top Bottom