Maine

I'd love to get little napoleon a friend, but so far he just hangs out with the pigs. I think he'll be okay until spring at least.

Yes, we do breed our hogs. They are really just so wonderful! They don't smell, don't eat muchicken grain, preferring hay instead. The are gentle, good mannered, not prone to breaking out, and fairly small (as far as pigs go). The only downside is that because they are a heritage breed, they take 12-18 months to grow out to full size.

Anyone interested in two 4 month old Barred Rock/Lavender Orpington roosters? They are good boys but I've got 3 Roos now.

Last edited:
@CoopChick719 You almost had me until I realized they were crosses. I'd LOVE to get my hands on pure lavendar orps. Ah well :(. I am interested in some guineas at some point, if anyone here has some or expects some hatching eggs in the early summer.

My chickens don't normally go out in the winter once it snows. They have a large covered run, so I just give them bags of leaves and pine branches for them to work on in there. Today DH bought feed, which we keep in a large metal trash can in the run. It is 88 pounds, so he leaves the door open while carrying the feed in. Our Ancona, "Coney", got so excited at the prospect of going out, that she flew out the door and landed in the snow. Apparently, this white stuff came as quite a shock. She landed with her wings spread out, and then was too terrified to move. :D Eventually, after moving the feed and a photo session, DH was able to scare her into moving and heading home.

Back
Top Bottom