MainePoultry's 1st Flock

Full grown large fowl chickens eat roughly 1/4 to 1/3 pound a day. My 7 birds go through a bag in a month so figured your 15 would eat a bag in two weeks when full grown. Your first bag will last that 8-10 weeks of medicated.

Hey there got the call this morning! Here's the peepers...

15 out of 16 (16th was one for luck I guess ironically...)
11 barred rocks 4 buff orps... Loving life here. Put some ACV in the water and already did a round of poopie butt cleaning and applied Vaseline... How often should I keep an eye on this? I keep checking anyhow... Not a one seems lethargic or "odd". Anyways day 1!

So the first night, although nerve wracking to leave them alone for 8 hrs straight, went well. They were all sleeping huddled up when I came out in the morning. I've cleaned and applied Vaseline to their bums a couple times already. No one seems weak or off yet. They all seem like happy chicks so far. One of my buff orps does have what looks like an umbilical cord still. I left it be. Should I?

Just some more shots of the chicks... They are crazy haha
They all are doing great no poopie butt, no tired chicks. In fact they all have been playing "runway" and running from one side of the brooder to the other flapping their wings. It's too funny to watch. Feed and water intake has seemed to double lol... Tomorrow they will be a week. When can I give them plain yogurt to mix with the feed? I've read I can do this once a week or so to help build their stomachs. Is this true? Thanks!

My hand got a cramp she sat so long lol...

8 days old today and they're doing great. A few of the barred rocks are starting to get theyre white tips on their wings. The umbilical cord thing fell off of my buff orp. I've done a poopie butt check twice a day and applied Vaseline... I've yet to see any poopie butt so maybe my preemptive strike with ACV is working. I tried to give them plain yogurt mixed with chick feed and even sprinkled a little feed on top to get them interested. They pecked at it but quickly decided it wasn't on the menu tonight. Could this just be cause they are confused by it? Thanks!

Awww, so cute! I like to give mine ground up oatmeal. They love it! I put some in the palm of my hand and they come right over for it. Of course now they think everytime I put my hand in the brooder I have a treat for them.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom