Maintaining a Small Pond?

Quote:
We have a pond that is actually VERY similar to that.
smile.png
We only have two ducks, Muscovies, and they use the pond every day. It does get a little dirty, but there was a filter than came with it.

The good thing about the filter is that it's easy to use. When it's full, the 'base' that holds the filtered items will float to the top of the pond and when we empty it, we can sink it right down again. I can't give details because my dad is really the one who takes care of that business.

In the winter, it freezes over and the ducks simply disregard it.

We were given this pond by a friend who was planning to use it and then, after opening it, decided to build their own. It was an awesome freebie.

After the first year, we cleaned it out as best as we could. Before we cleaned it, it was green at the bottom and sides, but not that bad. The filter was even connected to a spout that can be turned into a fountain. But the ducks kept knocking it down so we converted it into a little 'waterfall' using a few pretty rocks.

We don't know how many birds the pond can handle. But we're looking into some bantam ducks for this year so I'll let you know if we have a problem.
lol.png

Of course, if you keep the pond under a tree (which we don't do) you might have to go in with a net each day and scoop out the leaves. The filter doesn't take care of anything too big.

I don't have a picture now but I can get one later.

Since we are on the subject of ponds.... I live on 20 acres and have a big pond, but the ducks won't get in there due to the snapping turtles... so we are in the process of making a much, much smaller pond, it's in the perfect location... by the coop, it will be around 12X12X3 ft..... now here's the question, is there any maintance with this size do to the fact that it will have dirt bottom? I don't know that much about ponds of any sort... or am I making a huge mistake building on like that? Sorry for the probably stupid question...

For the person who has a pump in their duck pond/tub, where did you get it, what kind is it? I have an 800 gallon stock tank for my three Embdens and even that 'muds' up fast. I was hoping to only change it twice a year but it looks like it's going to need it alot more often. If there is a pump that filters that kind of stuff it would make me SO happy.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't think it's a stupid question at all! My ducks have a "dirt" pond in their run also, that to me, is easier to maintain because I don't have to dump it out everyday. We have a Mud Hog pump that I use to pump it out with occasionally, espcially in the spring when the pollen starts falling pretty awful, and use the water in the garden. My demensions are larger than yours (please don't ask, because I have no clue, lol), especially the depth because we tapped down into the "natural spring" of water to help keep the pond full, but a water hose keeps it full just as well. Just keep in mind that the ducks (I currently have 13 that use it all day) will dabble in the dirt on the sides and try to "fill" the pond back in for you, lol. Early this spring while we had the water pumped down, we dug some of the sludge from the bottom back out, which was gross beyond description. Water plants will help with with the natural filtration alittle, but keep in mind with all the "fertilizer" they will grow in abundance and may end up being overwelming. If you go this route, just don't expect to have pretty clean water that you can see to the bottom of. The ducks will keep the dirt stirred up with their dabbling and make the water look murky all the times. With this project you learn from your mistakes just like any other. I would recommend digging as deep as you possibly can. This will help with any smells and also the back fill of dirt from the ducks. Hope this makes sense and helps you out.

I used to run a large pool sand filter in my ducks pond. It worked OK but I was having to backwash it twice a day when the water that went back into the pool would slow down. After a couple of backwashes, I had to add water. I had to run the pump 24/7 during the warm months to keep it from getting really bad. It got to the point that after raising my electric bill a lot, I decide to just buy a sump pump and pump it out about every 1 to 2 wks and add fresh water. Also, I got tired of hearing that pump run all the time. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom