Majestic eagle

Coopcheney

Songster
May 21, 2023
New Jersey
I am used to battling hawks but this morning we were visited by two eagles. This is a new level of fear for me…my ladies are definitely not coming out of the run for a few days. Has anyone had to deal with eagles 🦅 stalking your flock?

Attachments

• 508FDF66-CFE5-407B-A9A3-E629DE7BDD5F.jpeg
    508FDF66-CFE5-407B-A9A3-E629DE7BDD5F.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 32
  • F5579E34-FAD8-40A4-BB49-AB3F3223E960.jpeg
    F5579E34-FAD8-40A4-BB49-AB3F3223E960.jpeg
    771.6 KB · Views: 15
Keep your chickens safe. :hugs
My understanding with eagles,,,, they do much of their diet, on fish. Maybe by coincidence, the eagles were searching out rabbits,, also a common animal in their diet.
I don't encounter eagles in my immediate area. Closest known spot,,, is about 40 miles away, along a river.
I think,,, after a few days, the eagles will move on to new location.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Eagles nest fairly close to my property and a couple to like to perch in the extremely tall evergreen in my front yard. The eagles also hunt small critters from time to time in the adjoining farm fields after harvest. The first time I saw an eagle here, I thought it was limping -- turns out, it was dragging a dead rabbit in its talons.

Eagles have never approached my chickens, ducks or geese. If my geese perceive a threat from hawks, they will SOMETIMES give an alarm call that sends everyone scurrying for shelter. But I've never had an eagle come after my poultry.

Having said that, once I spot an eagle, I stay outdoors and keep an eye out just to be safe. If the eagles don't depart fairly soon, I run everybody back into the coops.

Eagles are such beautiful birds, it's hard not to be enthralled by them. Many years ago, I got to see a pair doing a mating ritual where they become entwined in the air and look as if they are going to crash to the ground before letting go. It was breathtaking!

Thank you everyone! I live next to the Delaware river and they seemed to be eating something in the field. Today is the first day I have not seen them. There are two and they sore and fly Together in the sky…it’s so amazingly beautiful. But I want to make sure my girls are safe. Thank you for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom