Major attack - is this a bear?

Pics
i live in alaska TONS of bears! we had a curious bear this year, this isnt true of all bears in the lower(more habituated) but bears up here actually just like the corn and if they maul a chicken its a second thought...soooo when one is around we have to pick up the chkn feed pita! just hardware mesh it up and pick up your corn/feed.

After losing a chicken a day to a fox/foxes when free ranging, we thought we had the problem sorted by only letting them out for 30 minutes before sunset. Between being locked up last night and checking this morning, something visited the coop and tore a big hole in the 1/4" hardware cloth, getting 11 of our 16 birds (4 ISA browns, two bantams, two guineas and our three barred rock hens). We're left with two guineas, a bantam, a barred rock cockerel and one ISA brown hen.

Any idea what could have got through the cloth? Claw marks on the sides in various spots as well and a few black hairs left as evidence. Thinking maybe a raccoon (though didn't think they could get through the cloth) or a bear?View attachment 2343917View attachment 2343918View attachment 2343919View attachment 2343920View attachment 2343921
I’d be willing to wager you had a visit from a bear. I don’t know where you live, but that’s gotta be a bear—what an appetite! A big cat probably wouldn’t have made such a large hole, n probly wouldn’t have taken that many, and while a wolverine is probably capable of getting through the wire, they don’t live anywhere close to civilization.

After losing a chicken a day to a fox/foxes when free ranging, we thought we had the problem sorted by only letting them out for 30 minutes before sunset. Between being locked up last night and checking this morning, something visited the coop and tore a big hole in the 1/4" hardware cloth, getting 11 of our 16 birds (4 ISA browns, two bantams, two guineas and our three barred rock hens). We're left with two guineas, a bantam, a barred rock cockerel and one ISA brown hen.

Any idea what could have got through the cloth? Claw marks on the sides in various spots as well and a few black hairs left as evidence. Thinking maybe a raccoon (though didn't think they could get through the cloth) or a bear?View attachment 2343917View attachment 2343918View attachment 2343919View attachment 2343920View attachment 2343921
Looks like a bear to me. They are powerful and tore through my friends chain link fence and got her silkies. I am so sorry for your loss. That’s a crushing blow. It’s so hard when you do everything possible and you still lose birds.
Bears have been known to attack chicken coops.
yes, my friend had her chain link ripped down and four silkies died. Def a bear.

Scratches probably four feet off the ground, going higher where it got in. Will see if I can get a game camera and set it up to see if it comes back. Really not much else I can do, other than repair the hole... Will order an electric fence, hopefully it arrives before the bear returns. Then I just need to find some more chickens!
i can tell you what it is its a bear definately, chances are it will come back, best thing to do put an electric fencer wire around the coup at least 2-3 strands, that will stop it. or if you want to be really agressive, ive used razor wire, that will really stop them. But ive had lots of exsperince, with chickens and black bears, thats a black bear did that, is no doubt. i have a dog know, that is usually in the yard i have the chicken coup, bears dont like dogs especially large dogs, either way look out it will be back.

Attachments

• AE94D881-38B1-43DA-A79D-C4196E6E21F2.jpeg
    AE94D881-38B1-43DA-A79D-C4196E6E21F2.jpeg
    862.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 0EC1FAB1-79FA-4D31-A37C-EF5F0527EE3C.jpeg
    0EC1FAB1-79FA-4D31-A37C-EF5F0527EE3C.jpeg
    813.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 1840840A-4FF0-422E-8D1B-C53CF6DA3F21.jpeg
    1840840A-4FF0-422E-8D1B-C53CF6DA3F21.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Her normal claw marks on the trees were easily 8 inches across. What you're showing doesn't have the width or depth of a bear unless a very, very young cub and this is not the season for one that young.
I had a similar thought and I'm guessing a sow did the main damage and the smaller scratches by a much smaller cub messing around. The ruler pic showed about 3"? I'm wondering whether so many were killed because they were used as hunting practice? I know some animals do that.

Really sucks though, sorry to hear.
I went with the 1/2" since it's a heavier gauge but idk how my run would do against a bear either...

Contact your state natural resources department. Could be claimed as nuisance bear. They have traps large enough to catch and relocate. Some departments also offer funds for lost value. However, tough to put true value on personal pets.

I don't think we have cougars here - we're in the Hudson Valley in NY. It's a pretty big hole that it tore in the cloth, which is why I thought bear...
You may have cougars without realizing it. But the black hair and the size of claw marks it has to be a bear.
We have cougars in WI, they have been spotted but the DNR always claims there aren't any until someone takes a picture of proof then the DNR says they are just walking through. But if you happen to get the right DNR person on your property and slyly mention something... they let it slip that the DNR themselves have released cougars into the area again.

I know this has all been solved but gotta get my 2 cents in too ! For a temporary measure til you get your hot wire up or for anyone that needs a temp. Human pee around the run. Bears dont like the way you smell. Just be prepared to drink a gallon of water if you have a good sized coop/run !

Back
Top Bottom