Major loss of feathers, extreme red skin

Windak54

Hatching
Dec 1, 2019
Hi, caring for neighbors chickens. I have raised chickens for years And have never seen this. Some hens have almost no feathers, bottoms, backs, legs, heads and even the rooster is developing a large red featherless area on his thigh. Roosters are aggressive, hens still laying, but this is far beyond a molt. I can send a picture if that will help. One hen is broody but I don’t want to bring her to my calm coop if they are contagious. Thank you for your help

Hi, caring for neighbors chickens. I have raised chickens for years And have never seen this. Some hens have almost no feathers, bottoms, backs, legs, heads and even the rooster is developing a large red featherless area on his thigh. Roosters are aggressive, hens still laying, but this is far beyond a molt. I can send a picture if that will help. One hen is broody but I don’t want to bring her to my calm coop if they are contagious. Thank you for your help
Is it possible that they have mites/lice?? Or perhaps tehy are not getting enough protein and are feather picking...a photo might help some.

Pictures would help. I know that mites can cause feather loss or new feathers to not grow. We had some birds that we had to send home from a fair once because they had almost no feathers

Help! Same thing going on. Started with feather loss and red skin around tail. I thought it was the rooster but it isn’t. No mites that I can see.
Now it has gotten worse. Spreading down her side and going up her back.She is trying to grow feathers and the ones that do grow by her tail are coming in raggedy or fall out
7FC7B164-8E69-4527-8C15-5E37B9BFCD2C.jpeg

Help! Same thing going on. Started with feather loss and red skin around tail. I thought it was the rooster but it isn’t. No mites that I can see.
Now it has gotten worse. Spreading down her side and going up her back.She is trying to grow feathers and the ones that do grow by her tail are coming in raggedy or fall outView attachment 2208214
It sure looks like some kind of skin irritation.
https://www.farmhealthonline.com/US/disease-management/poultry-diseases/mites/
Check the coop areas, little piles of greyish dust on/under perches are indicative of mites. Are the birds reluctant to go to bed at night? Spray the coop with either a homemade spray or an approved insecticide - this hot weather is going to make the infestation worse too :(

It sure looks like some kind of skin irritation.
https://www.farmhealthonline.com/US/disease-management/poultry-diseases/mites/
Check the coop areas, little piles of greyish dust on/under perches are indicative of mites. Are the birds reluctant to go to bed at night? Spray the coop with either a homemade spray or an approved insecticide - this hot weather is going to make the infestation worse too :(
Thank you
She is the only one affected. That’s what is so puzzling
I sprayed some of my essential oils for insect repellent on her and it seems a little bit better ✌️I also sprayed the coup down with peppermint water.

Back
Top Bottom