Major Mortality rate what could be wrong with my flock? HELP PLEASE

You really do need to get all your animals rounded up and quarantined. If it really is an outbreak where you are and you continue to let them free roam and die, you could easily spread it to wildlife which can spread it to who knows where. Plus, if you don't know what an animal died from and it seems to be spreading, you NEED to burn the bodies or risk further infecting other things. Personally, auctions, especially "exotic" auctions can spread diseases from all over the world because there is no guarantee that proper quarantine was practiced and there have been cases of people catching rare diseases from animals imported from other countries. If you even visited with your friend wearing clothes or shoes that could have been contaminated, or wore your auction clothes into your barns, it's possible to carry in the pathogen to your flocks.

This is the response I just got from the Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Lab poultry inspector:

Sheila, I read the backyard situation. Very bad. There is not enough information on the birds to make a recommendation. One person responded with the best advice and that was to contact her state vet. So many folks do not take the “quarantine” seriously.

Please, Bossy&bella-scream as loud as you have to make SOMEONE from the State of Iowa come help you!

I have been following this too. I wonder what's happened. This is a very bad situation and I hope we find out. I just can't believe a state vet would tell her to do the autopsy. I don't get it, it just does not make sense. I'd think this would be a red alert for them. Various species possibly affected and so much death. Something is not right about it all. There is alot at stake with this situation.

Quote:
I really hope this is not the case. Disease doesn't wait or call a timeout for weekends and holidays. I'd expect that the first line of defense against a raging outbreak understands this and would have someone at least screening messages or have an emergency number.

Dan

I just got back from vacation & was hoping to see that SOMETHING had happened with this situation while I was gone.....maybe we'll hear something today??
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom