Major Mosquito Problem

nightingale7

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
North Carolina
Any ideas on how to get rid of a major mosquito problem in a backyard?? We have no still water around anywhere that they could be coming from or anything else that I know of that would attract them. They are everywhere around our turkey coop. As soon as I stepped outside to feed them yesterday I was bitten eight times! Not only are they horribly pesty it worries me because I heard mosquitoes can transmit a disease to turkeys and chickens. Is this true?
hmm.png

Not sure if this is safe or effective for animals, but flies and mosquitoes HATE old school Listerine. You can spray it on yourself and around the area...mayyyybe on the birds. Other than that, probably a hefty bug zapper?

Last edited:
Bug Zapper probably won't do much 'cause mosquitos aren't attracted to the light, but to the CO2 that we exhale. Where are you located? Here in the south hardware stores sell machines that exhale CO2, they are propane fueled, and the bugs go in and are trapped in a bag. They very effective if pricey.

Something less costly you can try is spraying the interior ceiling with contact bug killer. Females (males don't bite) rest on the ceiling at night and are killed. This is how Aid societies handle mosquito problems in 3rd world countries. Please make sure the chooks are out of the coop during the spraying and untill the chemicals have dried. Since they don't off-gas fumes after drying and aren't on any surface the chooks would contact, this would be safe.

Also, you should be covered up with clothes or using a DEET bug spray on yourself when going out. Wash it off when you come in. I know this is controversial, but given the choice between West Nile & DEET, I choose DEET if it is too hot to cover up. Camping stores also sell hooded mesh bug-shirts. They work pretty well for protecting your torso. A pair of gloves, socks with your pantleg tucked in and not only are you bug proofed, you will be quite entertaining to family and friends
wink.png

Mosquitos can carry Fowl Pox. You may want to ask your State Vet if that is a problem in your area. You can buy the vaccine online from most hatcheries and vaccinate your birds yourself.

i've seen machines you can plug in that kill mosquitos. Went to someone's house once and they had one set up for a party. i suspect they're pretty expensive. Sounds like The Kibble Goddess has a reasonably priced suggestion.

@The Kibble Goddess- We are from western NC. I'm not sure what our local hardware stores carry for mosquitoes but I will be sure to check them out.

Thank you all for the advice!! This is the worst I have seen mosquitoes. Hopefully we can get rid of these pest!

Last edited:
I grow catnip it works pretty goo I just break off a piece and rub it on my arms and legs BTW my back porch is the great dismal swamp NWR and my front porch is the marshes of the southern branch of the Elisabeth river

there are so many herbal remedies to use to repel mosquitos, so using dangerous things like deet which is probably carcinogenic is just not necessary. my yard is the same way and seems to be the worst in the garden where I keep my chickens. I make a spray of vinegar infused with thyme. I also take raw shea butter, melt it, and put neem oil and a little citronella oil in it and that works really well. Lemon balm is supposed to repel and i grow cat nip but don't seem to be able to make a repellant from rubbing leaves over me. It's hard to cover your arms, hands and face with crushed leaves.

Back
Top Bottom