Major Pecking Injury-How Can I Help Her? Pics Attached

ddboersma

Songster
May 2, 2022
Hello! I have had the unfortunate luck of aggressive pecking that has led to the death of 2 birds, and now severely injured a 3rd.
The bird I believed was responsible for the deaths (always plucking feathers and found pecking away/all bloodied up) was re-homed to a full time free range flock and is doing great.
I thought I took care of the problem, until I noticed my lavender Orpington all bloodied up on her back one morning in the run. I have barely been able to look at it to clean it every day, I feel so awful for her.
The bird I’m 99% sure did it has also been re-homed to that same full time free range flock.
What can I do to help her heal? Thursday is when it happened. I spray with Vetericyn daily and cover with a sterile non stick gauze pad wrapped in vet wrap. She eats, drinks, poops and lays eggs normally. She is currently in a cage in my house and seems happy/chatty (I’m sure she’s not). She is sometimes let outside to “free range” in a small secure area in the evenings with me present. She pulls the gauze pad and wrap off a lot so sometimes I let it air out for an hour instead of fighting her on it. What do I do next?
**regarding my flock details , I had 15 hens (all currently 26 wks old) in a 25x25 covered run with a 12x6 coop. Sand bottom, plenty of perches/toys. Only fed organic layer pellets and grains I sometimes sprouted. They did not free range because I lost so many in a previous flock to hawks.
I am down to 11 birds now with the deaths and re-homing, and I have since started free ranging in the evenings for a few hours before dark hoping that will help any further possible aggression.

Attachments

• IMG_4903.jpeg
    IMG_4903.jpeg
    559.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_4901.jpeg
    IMG_4901.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 21
Are there maggots in the wound? Look to see if there's anything moving in that wound.
Unfortunately I did just find one! I removed it with a tweezers and noticed another one that burrowed inside her where I can’t see. I will keep watching, snatching and spraying with Vetericyn…but what else can/should I do?! UGH I thought I was on top of this, I feel so bad for her

It needs to be flushed or soaked in warm soapy or Betadine water to bring all maggots out. You can spray with Vetericyn if soapy water is used. They will keep hatching for at least 24 hours. So the soak may need to be repeated. Fly strike is deadly and must be treated aggressively. Remove her to a place away from flies. Fly larvae will be a problem in wounds or poopy vents. Here is an article to read:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

It needs to be flushed or soaked in warm soapy or Betadine water to bring all maggots out. You can spray with Vetericyn if soapy water is used. They will keep hatching for at least 24 hours. So the soak may need to be repeated. Fly strike is deadly and must be treated aggressively. Remove her to a place away from flies. Fly larvae will be a problem in wounds or poopy vents. Here is an article to read:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/
Thank you!!!! How much soap (or what kind of soap) or Betadine in water?
I don’t have Betadine on hand so will start with soap and get Betadine today. I thought I had managed flies so I’m surprised. She is currently locked in my laundry room🤦🏻‍♀️

Thank you!!!! How much soap (or what kind of soap) or Betadine in water?
I don’t have Betadine on hand so will start with soap and get Betadine today. I thought I had managed flies so I’m surprised. She is currently locked in my laundry room🤦🏻‍♀️
I've used dish soap or baby wash to wash chickens in the past. Just make it nice and soapy. You want to remove germs, oil, and of course, maggots.

Betadine has instructions on the package.

Welp, this girl is doing a lot better. Haven’t noticed any more maggots and she def looks like she’s starting to heal. The hole is still there, but everything is dry. Her feathers are now covering it.
My question is, when can I move her back to the flock?
I realize that she can’t be released into the flock until her wound is completely closed up, but I have an XL metal wire dog crate I could put her in with the rest of the flock. I also didn’t know if I should still be concerned about flies even though wound is dry and now covered?
She is going stir crazy in my house. Lots and lots of chatter and non stop pacing. I feel bad for her.
Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_4945.jpeg
    IMG_4945.jpeg
    618.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4946.jpeg
    IMG_4946.jpeg
    546.8 KB · Views: 5
Welp, this girl is doing a lot better. Haven’t noticed any more maggots and she def looks like she’s starting to heal. The hole is still there, but everything is dry. Her feathers are now covering it.
My question is, when can I move her back to the flock?
I realize that she can’t be released into the flock until her wound is completely closed up, but I have an XL metal wire dog crate I could put her in with the rest of the flock. I also didn’t know if I should still be concerned about flies even though wound is dry and now covered?
She is going stir crazy in my house. Lots and lots of chatter and non stop pacing. I feel bad for her.
Thanks for your input!
Once the wound is dried out and healing, it should be fine to put her out in a crate around the other chickens. Just keep an eye on the wound to make sure the flies don't get back into it. If the flies can't get to it, they can't lay eggs on it, and if it's not moist it's not as appealing, so far as I know.

Good luck! Glad she's healing!!!

I had a chicken who had the end of her wing torn off at the elbow joint (she lost feathers and skin - still not sure how she managed that). She had a similar colored scab, and after about a month or so, the scab fell off and feathers grew back. Your chicken's wound is larger, but prognosis is excellent for full healing IMO.

Back
Top Bottom