Major Pecking Injury-How Can I Help Her? Pics Attached

Once the wound is dried out and healing, it should be fine to put her out in a crate around the other chickens. Just keep an eye on the wound to make sure the flies don't get back into it. If the flies can't get to it, they can't lay eggs on it, and if it's not moist it's not as appealing, so far as I know.

Good luck! Glad she's healing!!!

I had a chicken who had the end of her wing torn off at the elbow joint (she lost feathers and skin - still not sure how she managed that). She had a similar colored scab, and after about a month or so, the scab fell off and feathers grew back. Your chicken's wound is larger, but prognosis is excellent for full healing IMO.
Thank you! I’ll try tomorrow 😃

Hi! I'm so glad she's feeling better, it doesn't looked like a pecking injury, it looks like a rooster spur injury. I had a similar occurrence with one of my hens.
I actually don’t have any roosters, all hens that are laying. I had to re-home 2 birds that plucked feathers constantly and made several birds bloody. Two had vents pecked so severe they died. I was not there to see any of this happen, so I don’t know if blood was drawn with feather plucking and then several birds got curious with pecking? All I know is not a single feather has been plucked since I removed the 2 birds I guessed were responsible, and feathers are finally growing back on ones that needed it. Hoping for the best 🤞🏻

I actually don’t have any roosters, all hens that are laying. I had to re-home 2 birds that plucked feathers constantly and made several birds bloody. Two had vents pecked so severe they died. I was not there to see any of this happen, so I don’t know if blood was drawn with feather plucking and then several birds got curious with pecking? All I know is not a single feather has been plucked since I removed the 2 birds I guessed were responsible, and feathers are finally growing back on ones that needed it. Hoping for the best 🤞🏻
Hmm, then your bullies must have mounted her, I have a hen that mounts other hens, but she's little so doesn't do any damage.

I'm so sorry. I'm glad you found a good home for them.

You seem to have a good amount of space, do you have strategic clutter in your run for hens to hide?

Back
Top Bottom