Major Problem With New Hatch... Can't Walk... Video Link Attached

ncchixlady

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
North Carolina
This chick was born this evening. Kept having trouble getting the top of the shell off after it unzipped. Finally got it off and could not get out of the shell. After a loooong time, I just tipped the bottom and it kinda rolled out. It cannot walk, rolls around and is having real problems. It has been a few hours and I can't get it out since it hasn't dried yet but I really don't know what to do. I uploaded a video here...

Did he just hatch? It takes a few hours before they start walking. They're so exhausted that they usually just roll around and sleep the first day. If he still has problems tomorrow, here's some things to consider. Compare him to a healthy chick. Feel each chick's hips. Sometimes they strain a muscle and need time to heal, and sometimes they hatch with deformed hips. In the case of the latter, there's nothing you can do to fix it. If he took a long time to hatch, their legs can get cramped and may need a little therapy to work properly. Gently stretch and bend his legs for a few days to stretch the tendons. He may screech when you do this because it hurts, but it's for his own good. Be sure to splint his legs asap if they are spraddled (one falls outward, bends to the side) with a bandaid or VetWrap. Don't worry just yet. Check on his progress tomorrow.

Good luck! I have a little chick that just hatched last night. He strained all his hip muscles in an effort to get out of his egg, but he's recovering. Hopefully your baby will too!

Last edited:
I had one just like that, ended up with spradle leg. I used the bandaid for about 10 days... He is now almost 7 weeks old and you'd never know he ever had a problem.

Wellllll... after about 6 hours on this planet, the chick was not dry, miserable, legs curled up, and his belly was protruding and had a small cut and amount of blood. It appears that the yolk didn't absorb and maybe membrane or something ripped when it was trying to leave the shell. We put bandaids on the feet, put some neosporin on its belly, wrapped it up in a paper towel and put it in a small cup turned on its' side. We thought it was going to die but wanted to try to mimic the shell and give it time to absorb the yolk.

This morning, it was out of the fake "shell" and the belly is normal. The place on the belly has stopped bleeding and closing up and after removing the bandaids, it walked on the carpet... a little wobbly but without curled toes or falling. I put him in with the other two babies and it went straight to the water and drank some so I think all is well.

In the midst of all this, another chick hatched and was waiting on us this morning and another has started the process of unzipping. All this, even though the temperature went up to 108 during the night!

Awwe. that is awesome!!!

I have 6 sebs in an incubator today on day 27! I could swear I heard a peep this morning. I am on pins and needles! Saturday... won't you please come early!
wink.png

ARe you anywhere near Asheville?

The unzipped chick has now hatched. The incubator and all of the science fair materials were very carefully transported to the school and the chick unzipped and hatched with some of the kids watching. We still have 5 more to hatch.

I am near Winston Salem but I am originally from Spruce Pine, near Asheville.

Very cool! I'm glad kids got to see it!

I can now confirm that I DID hear peeps coming from the bator! This is my first time, I am beside myself excited!

Good Luck with the rest of your hatch!

I am actually in Weaverville. Love the Spruce Pine area! But I wasn't lucky enough to grow up here. I've been here for 12 years now. My first foray into chickens and geese began last spring. What an adventure!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom