1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Make money

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kentypoo, Dec 9, 2012.

1. kentypoo

kentypoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    Is it actually possible to make more money than you spend raising chickens in your back yard( hens )

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    A few people have managed to. A great way to cut cost is to use as many recycled goods in possible. However in a backyard setting you probably will not be able to produce enough to make more than you spend.

3. birdonerous

birdonerous Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    NW Kansas, USA
    You may not be able to make extra money in a backyard situation but the eggs and meat you receive are worth more than you can buy at the store.

4. NatalieAnn

NatalieAnn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2012
    Adelaide Australia
    I think we were in the black until we had to take our hen to the vet - $100 later and we are in the red I would say! But then again I am a big sook, a lot of people would probably take their chances and not spend that much at the vets. But they are priceless to me :)

5. dam danny

dam danny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    sylvester georgia
    like kevin565 said is the best bet and I`ll also say that it will not hurt to tell friends and fam. to save you thir old bread thay love that it`s filling and will save on feed

6. janelle18

janelle18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    saving on feed is a big thing, free ranging plus scraps are huge bonuses! Plus the chickens LOVE them, i feed mine everything, things that are too hard for them to eat like broccoli steams etc my mom puts in the food processor for 2 seconds and breaks them into manageable pieces for them to eat:)

7. NatalieAnn

NatalieAnn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2012
    Adelaide Australia
    I would only give bread occasionally as a treat, not as a staple, same with other starchy foods (potatoes, pasta), as their digestive system can't handle too much of these types of foods. At least that's what I was told by a vet...

8. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I think it is possible if you have a big enough yard to have a decent number of birds and go into it with a business mentality rather than a pet mentality. It also greatly depends on your local market and what you will be able to sell at what prices. It becomes about productivity and numbers.

If you are wanting to save money on feed read about fermenting feed, growing fodder, and raising meal worms. There are also lots of fun ways to grow lots of veggies in small spaces.

9. janelle18

janelle18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    yes market is important to. I lucked out because my mom runs a hair shop from home, so i sell 80% precent of my eggs to her customers (works out well because they like the eggs and they now know we have chickens and always bring us the cartons back!) the rest i sell to my family/friends.

10. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    It is possible but a L-O-N-G term venture. Me being me was into this chicken thing for about $1500 before I got a egg. That is just start up cost, chicks,coop,run, feeder and waterers and various other things. Doesn't even count my time, which is worth a lot,LOL. Did get some stuff free too. It was a while before I started selling eggs. Did some things to reduce costs like buying feed in bulk bags and free cartons. My cost for a dozen ranged between $1.15 to $1.60 per dozen pending on lay rate per day and sell them at $4 so things were good. Paying for feed, free eggs for me and making money back. Fall comes,molt starts and lack of production begins. Hens age, production drops, some die, some stop. Use some of the money gained to upgrade the flock,more expenses but more eggs(eventually). Summer comes eggs are flowing and then Fall. Cost of feed rises,more expense. Very slowly chip away at the initial start up costs. See where this going? A very long venture. I did not go into to make money, heck even selling eggs was an afterthought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by