1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Make neck d'Uccle?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by msheets, Jul 28, 2014.

1. msheets

msheets Songster

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    What would it take to create naked neck d'Uccles? Bantam turkens crossed? I'm new to the genetics of them both so any info is appreciated. Which genes of both breeds are dominant/recessive? Thanks

2. gootziecat

gootziecat Songster

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Yes, it would take a NN bantam to cross on your dUccles. The NN cross usually produces about 1/3 NN offspring, particularly if the NN you are using has a bow tie. One without should produce more NNs on your d'Uccles. If it were me, I would save all the pullets crosses that show a NN and discard all the others, including cockerels. If the offspring doesn't exhibit a NN, it is not carrying the gene. Take all your NN/dUccle pullets and cross them with a d'Uccle rooster. I would continue breeding NN/dUccle pullets to d'Uccle roosters until you get your color and type back. Sounds simplier than it is. But you could have picked a lot harder project. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: