Are you better with a 4 inch diameter elbow if i can only get
Them in millimetres can it be slightly smaller
Will 4 elbows do 10 chickens
Cheers Phil

Are you better with a 4 inch diameter elbow if i can only get
Them in millimetres can it be slightly smaller
Will 4 elbows do 10 chickens
Cheers Phil
I would think slightly smaller should be fine. The only consideration is if you have chickens with large comb & wattles. I have a rooster who got a bit of frostbite on his comb tips and i've been putting a bowl for him so he doesn't bump the injured bits on the elbow. Otherwise I have no concerns. My Brahma hen sometimes even will eat from the 2-inch (5cm) elbows I put in at first when they were babies. it's a close fit, but she never gets stuck in there.

Do ya think this would work for ducks? they waste a TON of food
Yes! I have 2 ducks and 3 chickens penned together. it's GREAT for the ducks. I haven't had any problem with them messing it up, but I put it a bit away from the water so they can't just go right back & forth... Their ducky heads fit in so nicely and no combs & wattles to get bumped like the chickens. My female is a silver appleyard and the male is a mixed-breed slightly smaller (probably part appleyard and maybe campbell or harlequin or something mixed in). Homer & Hesiod both eat from the elbow-feeder bucket just fine.

I'm curious how these could work for quail, probably using 2" pipe instead of 4". Anyone try that yet?
I don't have anyquail. I can't imagine why it would not work for them, but you might need to alter the depth of the elbow on the inside, depending on how long their necks are. I have 2" and 4" pipes on my feeder because initially the chickens were still little chicks (2 or 3 months old when I first built it). I just added the bigger ones when they got older.

I made this feeder awhile back, and it worked fine up until yesterday. I went in the coop to clean up and check water and feed, and I noticed feed all over the floor in front of the bucket,

Has anyone else been having the same problem? Geese it worked great up til yesterday.

I went out to the coop this afternoon and was watching them throw the feed out again.

any Ideas what I can do to stop the waste ?
thank you

I made this feeder awhile back, and it worked fine up until yesterday. I went in the coop to clean up and check water and feed, and I noticed feed all over the floor in front of the bucket,

Has anyone else been having the same problem? Geese it worked great up til yesterday.

I went out to the coop this afternoon and was watching them throw the feed out again.

any Ideas what I can do to stop the waste ?
thank you
Try one of these?:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-almost-waste-free-funnel-bucket-feeder
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom