Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
The chicks and I are lovin' the new double decker feed & water station

Last edited:
I wanted something to build tonight, so I got to work on this feeder.
It's a bit of a stretch for 6 week old chickens, but I was surprised at how quickly they buried their heads in there at got to work.

Problems:
Mounting a flat surface to a curved bucket
The elbows were too big so they were pushing against each other on the inside not allowing me to line them up properly.

I guess the best solution would be to get a large square bucket (I tried in a smaller square but it didn't allow for more than 1 elbow to fit)
You need to cut the bottom half of the rim off for the chicks to reach the feed properly. Otherwise they look great. Also as far as the round/flat surface, we just put silicone caulk around the edges. I'll post a pic so you can see what I am talking about.

You need to cut the bottom half of the rim off for the chicks to reach the feed properly. Otherwise they look great. Also as far as the round/flat surface, we just put silicone caulk around the edges. I'll post a pic so you can see what I am talking about.

The chicks and I are lovin' the new double decker feed & water station

Any chance you could give a little more instruction on your set up? This looks awesome! We are in desperate need of a new watering system and I love that you have this right on top of each other like that. I'm assuming it must be pretty easy to clean because they are liter buckets? Those lids come off nicely.

Hi Everyone. I'm the OP on this thread.

Could I kindly ask that we keep this thread to the 5 gallon bucket "FEEDER".

There is another thread for my 5 gallon bucket "WATERER" that you can find in my signature line, plus many others here at BYC.

Thank you!
thumbsup.gif

I just built the bucket feeder and only made one hole. I see some have multiple feeding holes. Should I cut one more or leave it. I have 8 chickens if that makes a difference. Thanks.
1f413.png
1f414.png
1f424.png

Back
Top Bottom