Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
*fits in the center of the can*. Typing from my phone... creates a ton of typos, dropped punctuation, and the occasional whacky autocorrect!

I followed the instructions at the start of this thread and made the feeder for my 6 hens. It works perfectly with no spilled feed. I don't guess I'll ever use another feeder.

Check the 'sewer and drain' PVC fittings, no the regular SCH 40 fittings, they are generally around the corner by the black corrugated drainage pipes and floor drains...  Home Depot doesn't carry them but both Menards and Lowes do...

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...n-street-elbow-spt-x-hub/p-1454621-c-9383.htm

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24870-676-41P0ST_0__?Ntt=41p0st&UserSearch=41p0st&productId=3609606&rpp=32

UPC 052063440903
Manufacture NDS part # 41p0st  (note that's a zero)
thank you! I will check it out... when I looked at my local Lowe's, they did not have them. I wonder if different lowes carry different parts.

thank you! I will check it out... when I looked at my local Lowe's, they did not have them. I wonder if different lowes carry different parts.

Yeah, different stores carry different items, but as I said these are generally not stocked next to the rest of the PVC as they are drainage system elbows and are slightly different sizes then the SCH 40 PVC, head around to the isle that has the black and green 'drainage' systems...

Look for the isle that has these types of items...

This is the only picture I have at the time, I just filled it today. There is another one on the other side, 3 inch elbows I used the small piece I cut off the elbows and pushed it into the end with the flange to make it stick out a little further don't know if it helps but I had the extra piece anyway, if you notice there is nothing on the ground. With it up on some blocks I have found the perfect height. I originally tried to hang it like a traditional feeder but it seemed more like a 30# wrecking ball and didn't want to take a chance on it falling on someone.
It looks perfect jetdog. I'm on my way to Lowe's tomorrow. and will build it like this. Simple and easy.
woot.gif

Check the 'sewer and drain' PVC fittings, no the regular SCH 40 fittings, they are generally around the corner by the black corrugated drainage pipes and floor drains... Home Depot doesn't carry them but both Menards and Lowes do...

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...n-street-elbow-spt-x-hub/p-1454621-c-9383.htm

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24870-676-41P0ST_0__?Ntt=41p0st&UserSearch=41p0st&productId=3609606&rpp=32

UPC 052063440903
Manufacture NDS part # 41p0st (note that's a zero)

Great information.. Thanks a bunch.
fl.gif

Quote: That one would be found in the ventilation or ac part department, it's not a elbow really. I bought it as a storm vent, there's a flap on the inside and when installed correctly, it is protected from rain by the hood. I installed it inside out in the feeder, and removed the flap from it.

I have some questions for you experts.

1-- I have seen some pictures of the five gallon bucket with the PVC elbow in it, where the chickens are still billing out a decent amount of feed onto the ground. I guess that isn't a question, just an observation.

2-- i have a bunch of chickens, 20 to 40, and I can't figure out how I would set up a bucket (like in the opening post on this thread) feeding system that would feed such a large number of chickens. And, because of my observation (point one above) I am not sure it would be worth it.

I don't have any feed spilled. There is not one single kernal that spills out.

I have a single kitty litter bucket with 2 elbows. I have 6 hens. They never seem to be waiting for a spot.
For 40 hens, I would probably use 3 or 4 buckets and install 3 elbows in each bucket.

I LOVE this system. I get zero waste and I only need to add feed about every 2 weeks.

I don't have any feed spilled. There is not one single kernal that spills out.

I have a single kitty litter bucket with 2 elbows. I have 6 hens. They never seem to be waiting for a spot.
For 40 hens, I would probably use 3 or 4 buckets and install 3 elbows in each bucket.

I LOVE this system. I get zero waste and I only need to add feed about every 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom