Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Here's the product link (the picture looks different than the actual product, I didn't find out until I had it in front of me): http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-3-...Street-Elbow-C48072HD3/100347226#.UnBRP3BwpLc

I used the "Check Store Inventory" function to find the stores near me that had it in stock, not all Home Depot's carry them. And as others have pointed out, a regular street elbow without the flange on the inside will also work. (EDIT: Ooh, and I just realized in my instructions I said the opposite, I was wrong, it will work.)
Yeppers, this I what I had th HD guy print out in this own store (even showed him they had 26 in stock right there) maybe someone keyed in the wrong number cause they couldn't find them . I'll check the other HD's around here. Thanks.

What do you use to keep the chickens off of the feeder?

I'm sorry I don't have a picture right now, but I took a 12" x about 24" piece of chicken wire and made it round (like a toilet paper tube shape). Put a small brick in the middle to hold it in place. Also made the same for my automatic bucket waterer.

I found a picture online of a guy that used an upside down planter basket for his automatic waterer (he inserted a hose in that pvc pipe on the top). But you could use one of these planter baskets to keep the chickens off.

Last edited:
I think this design is only good if you have a few chickens (around 10). Is there any good design for a larger flock (around 100)?

Well you could make 10 of them if you had to. Make each with 2 pvc elbows for feeding (20 chickens could eat at once).

The elbows are about $2.50 each, so 20 would cost you $50 bucks. You can get the buckets & lids free from your local hamburger restaurant (they come with pickles in them), or your local bakery (frosting buckets).

10 feeders at $5 each is a DEAL!

So, i'm sold on this and went out to get the elbows - no luck on finding the type You used with the flange on the end that stays inside the bucket. Where did you get yours ?
Will continue to look locally (Abq.). Thanks .

Well you could get the normal 90 degree elbows like this............

It's hard to beat the hanging metal feeders, since they will last nearly forever if you keep them dry, and hold up to 30 lbs of feed
th

It wouldn't be too difficult to build something similar with buckets or stove pipe

I have 2 metal feeders like this one right now. I also make some modifications by:

1. Using some bars to slow down the feed flow.
2. Keeping these inside another metal bucket to prevent feed waste.

So far, I have a lot less feed waste (nearly none), but I still want to look for better design.

I have over 100 birds, so I have several feed stations of the PVC pipe type. Like-ish in this video ...

I solved my "flow" problems differently than he did because I had the opposite problem. I found that crumbles got stuck in the hopper and didn't move down into the feeder section. I solved this a variety of ways. First, I used a "slower" angle to connect the pieces. Second, I now use pellet feed & whole grains so the feed flows better. Third, I hung the feeders at a downward angle so it flows better.

NOTE ... if you put the holes ON TOP of the curve of the pipe, then the feed doesn't spill from the feeder ... this seems so obvious to me that I have to post the link to the video for a giggle.

I am thinking of a way to attach a larger hopper to our feeders, though with several feeders and access to outdoor forage I don't find filling them to be too much of a chore.

Here is a dumb, unrelated video that shows some of our feeders ...

Second NOTE: I'd avoid the "single hole" PVC pipe feeders with the "Y" fitting at the bottom for feed access ... I've read reports of younger birds getting stuck upside down in those feeders, which didn't end well for the chickens.

Thanks, I will try this. But can roosters access feed? And how do you prevent mice from getting into your feeder at night?

Well if you have approx. 100 birds that is not the normal "backyard chicken ranch" :) Sounds like you need a commercial type feeder!

:) I try to self-sustain. I have that many birds because I hatch them. I also free range them in a fenced area to reduce feeding cost. I sell most of the eggs to cover feeding cost. I just keep enough eggs for my family, and I eat roosters and old hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom