Makeshift Family of Misfits?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PureFluff, Jul 18, 2010.

1. PureFluff

PureFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    I have never met them. Any of them. Some of them have met each other, are even in relationships! But I have the unfortunate luck to live in Oregon, which I rather like, but that's far away from the East Coast.

I'm talking, of course, about internet friends. I just joined this site, so unfortunately I'm not speaking of them. More my deviantART friends, people who are similar to me in many ways (art, age, experience, gender issues).

I wasn't serious when I was faux-complaining about being so far away, and that I should move over there. It was a joke when I said we should all move to Ireland, a place we all like. But the more each of us think about it, the more we like the idea. We are all realists, or pessimists, we know that things suck and we'd probably all be different than we expect, but we do all have a lot in common, and we chose each other, which is more than I can say about all the roommates I've had in college.

What am I talking about? All of us going to Ireland and living together in a big house! We'd have a nacho machine and share our art supplies and have movie nights and have animals. We'd garden and produce projects together, each feeding each other's creativity. Books, comics, animations, paintings. We'd take care of one another and be one big, happy, insane family.

Maybe it's just a dream, maybe it will fade away, but the idea makes me so happy. And according to them, it fills them with joy too. I know some/all would back out if we actually tried to do this... But it's such a nice idea to have a partnership, a group, a place where you belong. Because all of us, our main issue, is we're all misfits of our own communities and families.

Would you do something like this? Is this the frivolity of a bunch of the 18-23 year olds that somehow missed on the NEED to become a parent or get married RIGHT AWAY? If it brings us happiness, should we attempt it?

What would you do, minus the kids and spouse for all you that have those?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I think that without my family, I would be reduced to living under a bridge. I am not able to move much on the days that the pain is bad. Sometimes it is like I am moving in slow motion. I hate it. I know that I have a task, and that I need to move, and think faster, but I am not able to do it no matter how hard I try.

I would love to have a real job, but I can't work fast enough, or stand on my feet for for any length of time. So what I would really like is to wake one day soon, and not be in pain. If that would happen I would go weed the garden and chase the chickens around, and clean house like a happy maniac. It is kind of sad that at this time that would make me happier than almost anything else that someone else could even think of.

3. PureFluff

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    Quote:Though I'll honestly admit I'm not sure the connection, I am super sorry to hear that. I'm glad your family can and does support you, however, and I wish you all the best. I'm not sure what the pain/slowness is from, but I hope it is temporary, even if it lasts awhile.

Much love. ♥

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I am a misfit in the sense that I don't like to go out. I am not afraid to go places, I just don't want to.

But to answer your question, if I had people that I really connected with and could afford to pick up and go... it sounds great actually. But I would probably chicken out and worry too much about how I would support myself there. Maybe that is because I am not 20 anymore? I'm at the point now where I tell DH that to make money I'm going to go stand on a street corner and make people pay me to keep my clothes on.

I love my critters, feathered and furred. Other than here, it is rare to find other people who understand.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Do it....while you're young. It may not last, but that's ok too. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!! Good luck!!

6. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Why does it have to be in Ireland? The cost of living is much higher there.......perhaps try here in the USA? It would be much more feasible.
    Reminds me of the dreams we had of hitchhiking across the country after graduating high school---all 6 of us.

Slinky

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hubby does have his dream to live in Scotland but jobs, and living is very very high there. For me, I personally would not leave my family behind nor hubby's secure job.

Sometimes life throws you a curveball but if you stop and smell the roses, there are some positive things about America.

8. PureFluff

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    None of us are patriotic.

I don't dislike America, per say, but I'm not a huge fan of it either. I'll probably end up moving to a EU country in the end, anyways.

There are positive things America, sure, but I'm not attached to it. I have issues, that is that I am not attached to many people, places, or things. I can literally pack up a car and drive with everything I love (dog included) if inspiration hit me. This is why I don't drive.

Maybe we should do it in America, though. *shrug*

I don't know, I don't have a spouse (kind of. me and my ex are love one another but not enough to be together, seeing as we have no future together), no kids. My dad sees me every five years anyways, my mom I would never contact if it weren't for my siblings... And my siblings *shrug* I'm kind of done playing games with my mom to see them.

Carpe diem, yes?

9. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
  10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:If you want to do it, do it while you're young and able. But don't rely on the others to help you out. Many will return to the US after 4-6 months. Oh, and don't try to take your dog. No point putting it through hell just to take it with you.

I moved around a bit when I was in my teens and twenties. It was never easy but it was a wonderful experience and gave me a better appreciation for the US in the long run. I moved to France for a while, moved to Ecuador twice, traveled a bit in Europe and South America - all fun, but very hard to earn a living there when you are a foreigner.

Though I really loved the experiences, I came to appreciate that life in the US is a privilege - we are VERY lucky to live here. Life is hard when you are always a foreigner. Lots of hoops to jump through just to get a job.

"None of us are patriotic." I am not rabidly patriotic, but I 100% support MY home country. I'd suggest some extensive traveling before you decide to pick up and move. You have a LOT to learn about the world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by