I had two broody hens that had collected way too many eggs to successfully hatch. It seems that the other hens were providing the girls with an unending supply of eggs to sit on. I decided to try to incubate some of the eggs in the house because they had way too many. I don't have an incubator, but I had read about what the eggs need on backyardchickens.com so I made my own makeshift incubator. I used a heating pad made for warming the soil in planting trays. On top of that I put a planting tray with a clear plastic lid. I lined the tray with wash clothes, put a thermometer and a saucer with a wet sponge in the "incubator". I added more heat with a swing arm lamp and a 40 watt light bulb. I did this thinking it would never work, but my 10 year old granddaughter was really into this project. We put 5 eggs in it. I didn't know how long they had been under the hens, but they showed signs of development when I candled them. I really didn't know what I was looking for, but I checked them against an egg that had not been under the hens. We watched the heat as closely as we could. It did spike to 104 one nught and got down to 97 another night, but we tried to keep it between 98 and 101. It seems we were continually adjusting the light. It has been a long 2+ weeks. I had little hope and almost through the eggs out a couple of times. I share this story because I want all you unbelievers to know that tonight we hatched a chick. I named her Lucky.