Making a breed of chicken

Oh cool! What are the legs like so far?
Terrible but once I breed him they should be better. The camera makes them pink but they really are not that pink. They are grey with some blue spots. His comb isn’t too ugly.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are a couple of genetic exclusions in this "project". The first is that EE's and Ameraucanas all share the common pea comb gene. It is genetically linked about 80 centimorgans from the blue egg gene on chromosome 1. It is relatively difficult to separate the blue egg gene from pea comb. UARK's blue egg layers, Silverudds, and Cream Legbars have broken the linkage.

It is not possible to maintain patterned females with solid black males. Two separate lines would be required one to produce black males with the blue egg gene and another line to produce patterned females with Melanotic, Pattern, and Columbian genes along with the blue egg gene on chromosome 1.

The muffs and tufts genes are relatively easy to separate. You can breed for roosters with muffs but not tufts.

Here is a picture of Golden and Silver Laced Wyandotte hens that lay pretty blue eggs.

www.selectedplants.com/miscan/Hens.jpg

And of the eggs showing blue, some with tan tints.
www.selectedplants.com/miscan/Blueeggs.jpg

Last edited:
There are a couple of genetic exclusions in this "project". The first is that EE's and Ameraucanas all share the common pea comb gene. It is genetically liked about 80 centimorgans from the blue egg gene on chromosome 1. It is relatively difficult to separate the blue egg gene from pea comb. UARK's blue egg layers, Silverudds, and Cream Legbars have broken the linkage.

It is not possible to maintain patterned females with solid black males. Two separate lines would be required one to produce black males with the blue egg gene and another line to produce patterned females with Melanotic, Pattern, and Columbian genes along with the blue egg gene on chromosome 1.

The muffs and tufts genes are relatively easy to separate. You can breed for roosters with muffs but not tufts.

Here is a picture of Golden and Silver Laced Wyandotte hens that lay pretty blue eggs.

www.selectedplants.com/miscan/Hens.jpg

And of the eggs showing blue, some with tan tints.
www.selectedplants.com/miscan/Blueeggs.jpg
Well right now I’m skipping that project. Though I did take that into consideration and I did want the pea comb. I’m going to try to make cuckoo ameraucanas.

Back
Top Bottom