Making a catherdral quilt question...

alabama49

Songster
11 Years
Oct 26, 2008
east central Alabama
I started a cahterdral quilt many years ago and never finished it. I recently got it back from my dd who was going to work on it for me (but never did!!!) and am determined to finish it this time. However, I am wondering as you add squares, how do you handle it as it get larger?

Thanks, I had planned to make it a double bed size but don't understand how to handle the size of it as I sew each square on it Seems like it would get very heavy and cumbersome to handle as you get closer to your finished size. sorry if I'm being thick-headed here!!!!

Thanks--where do I get those clips from? Also, should I make rows of squares the length I want then sew them together or just keep adding to it like a granny square till it get to the size I want?

OK-thanks very much for the link. I will look for some of those. It just seems that this thing is going to be very hard to handle the larger it gets because everytime I add a row of big squares, I have to fill them in with small ones!!

Are you sewing the blocks by hand or by machine?
The nice thing about making a cathedral quilt is you don't have to make a sandwich with batting and backing since it is already backed by the block process.
I've made two cathedral quilts over the years one by hand and one by machine. I prefer the hand sewn better....but everyone has their own way of doing things.

If using a machine:
By sewing blocks into rows and then sewing rows together in groups of three or four, you have less bulky weight.
Instead of rolling mine, I accordian pleat the length and hold it in my lap as I sew the rows together.
I position a table to my left and the ironing board opposite me at the sewing machine. This gives me a bigger area to help support the weight of the quilt. By sewing a small group 3 to 4 rows on at a time, there is only the bulk of that "group" under the machine.

If sewing by hand:
I sew the blocks into strips and then sew a strip on one at a time. Because I am right handed, I use a table beside my chair on the right side to hold the quilt. I hold enough of the quilt in my lap and sew from left to right as I join the row to the quilt.

I don't have photos of these two quilts because they were gifts years ago and we no longer live near each other. One is in Alaska and the other in Washington DC. That was before I started keeping photos of my handiwork...but they were really pretty if I do say so myself!!

OK thanks everyone for all your advice!!! I am charging on ahead with the decision to make the quilt double size. Now I am thinking I won't have enough scrap material for the little squares and will be on the hunt for that as well the clips!! Maybe I will post a picture of my progress as time goes on.

Back
Top Bottom