Making a Chain-link Chicken Run Look Attractive

Grapes are highly toxic to dogs - only a few can kill a dog. OK, I can't stand it, not trying to agitate, but, you must have heard this from the person that stated chocolate is poisonous to dogs,
lol.png
I have had a few dogs during my lifetime (I am old) and most died of old age. All of them ate chocolate and grapes. So, grapes might be toxic to your dogs, but not mine, just like chocolate has never been toxic to my dogs. In fact, my dog ate two mini snickers this morning and she is outside playing with the cats as I type this.

Last edited:
Quote:
Our ivy does, but I wouldn't recommend it for use with Chickens. I will need to cut ours right back before I can let our future chooks run loose in the garden as I believe it is not great for any animal.

If we had the climate for it I would definitely grow grapevines around a run, free food for the chickens
smile.png
but in this climate we struggle with tomatoes, let alone grapes! (Obviously as some vines appear to be anti-chicken they would be researched chicken-friendly vines)

OP's coop/run looks great, can hardly tell it is a chain-link with it's additions!

Last edited:
Quote:
Mine is not as pretty in winter, but thrives pretty good and still adds some green!

Careful, english ivy is poisonous. It also tastes pretty bad to chickens, so they don't usually touch it if they have other green alternatives. But if the ivy is inside a run or tractor, they might eat enough of it to make themselves sick.

Maybe this is why I thought they wouldn't eat it, they have not touched it when outside the run.
Thanks elmo, any animal stands a better chance of being poisoned if their choices are limited.

Quote:
I hope you have a different source... any idiot can post "facts" on wikipedia.. even a 2 year old... every school and college in the country has banned wikipedia as a reliable source of information when you have to source one...

Last edited:
Quote:
Black looks especially nice and makes it blend in more with the surroundings. We planted gourd plants next to ours this year to provide shade. Then, we had the gourd to dry to make birdhouses.

Quote:
I hope you have a different source... any idiot can post "facts" on wikipedia.. even a 2 year old... every school and college in the country has banned wikipedia as a reliable source of information when you have to source one...

seriously?

If it's that big of an issue, you can google it yourself. The poster was trying to help, just like you are. Play nice!

Here's a link that says that the seeds are the harmful parts, not the plant itself.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Ipomotr.htm

Quote:

seriously?

If it's that big of an issue, you can google it yourself. The poster was trying to help, just like you are. Play nice!

Here's a link that says that the seeds are the harmful parts, not the plant itself.

apple seeds are poisonous to humans, but we still eat apples.

cholorine is poisionous as well, and we still drink it in our water>

If you read through several lists of poisonous plants, you'll find about every plant in existance...

Oak nuts (acorns), are poisionous as well-- do you keep your chickens couped up, and out from under your shade trees?

Quote:

apple seeds are poisonous to humans, but we still eat apples.

cholorine is poisionous as well, and we still drink it in our water>

If you read through several lists of poisonous plants, you'll find about every plant in existance...

Oak nuts (acorns), are poisionous as well-- do you keep your chickens couped up, and out from under your shade trees?

I'm not here to argue. There is a threshold of poisonous items you can consume at a time before you get sick. The OP is just asking for how to make the run more attractive, that's all.

Quote:

There's no reason to be rude! Yes anyone can post on Wikipedia, but it's not hard to check the references listed at the end of the article. That article has several valid references, including the merck vet manual.

I don't care if you feed your dog grapes. My coonhound wil eat anything, including non-food items like a stupid goat, until he gets so bloated he looks pregnant...so personally I wouldn't risk grapes as I am certain he would eat a large amount if he noticed them.

Back
Top Bottom