Making a change for the better!

gvntofly05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
IN
I have finally decided to make a lifestyle change instead of just talking about it.

I have about 71 pounds to lose and DH has about 60. I am going to walk daily on my treadmill and do high intensity aerobics 3-4 times a week. I started on Monday and I am proud to be on day 3 of my journey! Gotta start somewhere right?

I used to be pretty small when DH and I were dating. I was at the gym 6 days a week but then life happened, marriage and 2 kids later, I let myself go. Well I am no longer putting my health and happiness on the back burner!!!

Plus I had forgot how good it feels to take a shower and put on some comfy clothes after a good workout!

Another thing we are doing is changing how we eat. Starting with our next trip to the grocery store if there is anything listed on the label that I cannot pronounce or don't know what it is, I will not buy it!

Even though it's more expensive, I am buying all my milk and cheese from the local dairy, I will also be buying cream from them and making my own butter.

We are going to limit our meat consumption to only local grass fed beef (expensive, so only a couple times a month) and our own chicken.

I will also be making at least 3 vegetarian dinners each week.

I am happy to say goodbye to the processed, chemical laden and hormone and antibiotic pumped foods! I really think that even without working out the weight will drop just by changing how I eat. I just figure why not help it along with exercise!

thumbsup.gif
Sounds like a great plan!

Best wishes to you and the family! Food and lifestyle are the key to good health. Dh and I let it go to long now we are dealing with diabetes and high BP.A bit of movement and good food could have prevented those issues for us.

Good for you and your family! Just remember how much determination and stamina you have right now at this exact moment and remember to carry that with you through out your entire life!!! Like you said, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So proud of you and your family to make a positive decision about your health and happiness!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
You must be peeking in our window! DH and I just got back from grocery shopping with the same mindset as you! Good luck! It's the right thing to do, I know it in my head and heart!
woot.gif

WTG! Just a little tip; read labels when you go grocery shopping. Drop sugar and most carbs from your diet and your weight will drop like a rock. You'll be in for a shock when you see everything is sugar laden.

Oh Yes! We are really going to try to eliminate as much sugar as possible!

I am no longer going to buy bread or pasta either. I will be making my own so that I can control what is in it. The Kitchenaid is going to get a lot of work!!!

Since I am putting 8-10 chickens in the freezer this weekend our shopping trip Friday is going to be lots of fresh produce and whole grains. It's amazing how low the grocery bill can be when you're not buying a lot of meat!

I think I may be able to talk DH into getting me a grain mill for Christmas!!!

I'm doing this for me, my children and my future grandchildren that I want to be around to meet!

Another good thing is my DD's are almost 5 and 18 months. By doing this I will be teaching them a healthy lifestyle from the start. They won't know any different!

My neighbor told my DH the other day that he found it odd that my oldest DD didn't know what a Twinkie was. My goal is to keep it that way!

If you have a hard time making all the changes at once just make one at a time. I have been making a small change every week. Took out caffeine, added oat bran, upped my veggies, cut out beef. Its amazing how its adds up as the weeks go by. I can look back at 2 months ago and am totally shocked how many changes we have made.

Back
Top Bottom